Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 93votes)

Hanayome wa Motodanshi

Alt Names: alt 花嫁は元男子。alt Gelin Bir Eski Erkekalt The Bride Used to be a Guy
Author: Chii
Artist: Chii
Genres: Comedy ComedyGender Bender Gender BenderRomance RomanceSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Chii and her husband are like any other happily married couple, except for one thing: Chii was assigned male at birth. Chii details her autobiographical account of growing up with gender dysphoria and ultimately deciding to transition in her early adult years. Shortly after Chii starts transitioning, she meets a man who is instantly enamored by her, and although he is surprised when Chii eventually tells him she used to live as a guy, he still wants to go out with her. As Chii continues to transition, her boyfriend supports her through the process, culminating in their marriage once her transition is complete.
Go to Hanayome wa Motodanshi Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Stop adding the Gender Bender Tag. New Window EatTheBones
  • 9 Replies

91 Comments

This is incredibly cute!

I'm loving this so much, thanks for translating!

No, no

It all goes too easy, there is no obstacles or drama, everyone agrees to everything, everyone loves everyone, this is basically a how-to/propaganda pamphlet. Even the art is overdone on how cutesy it is.

It's too early to say whether there are obstacles, but despite the authors positive way of phrasing things I think it was pretty clear there was some drama.

However, I'm not sure I agree with your implication that the portrayal is 'fake' just because it concerns an unusually fortunate case and doesn't focus on the drama. Just because that isn't what she doesn't want to talk about, doesn't mean that the rest of what the author is saying needn't be valid.

Spoiler

Thanks Hachimitsu!

Another good series from our good pal Hachimitsu Scans, thank you!

Proper story about being transgender?!

No, no

It all goes too easy, there is no obstacles or drama, everyone agrees to everything, everyone loves everyone, this is basically a how-to/propaganda pamphlet. Even the art is overdone on how cutesy it is.

Long story short: No.

Slightly longer explanation: The term "disorder" has a very specific definition in the medical profession unlike the common language. Countless numbers of people used to die because medical terms were used incorrectly/dumbed down for/by the masses and then misunderstood (ie. "gay disease" = non-gays can't get the disease.)

Oh, alright then, thanks for the info.

Chii-chan's mom is so awesome~~~~~ TT^TT

I really like this kind of story where the author is telling their life story.

Her blog: http://ameblo.jp/infection1985

Proper story about being transgender?!
FUCKING
FOLLOW!
smashes follow button with the force of 10,000 burning suns

So basically, the name change is so that resources can be directed to solve the mental affliction and to mitigate the misuse of the term "disorder" as a form of mockery, but the term itself isn't actually incorrect.

Did I get it right?

Long story short: No.

Slightly longer explanation: The term "disorder" has a very specific definition in the medical profession unlike the common language. Countless numbers of people used to die because medical terms were used incorrectly/dumbed down for/by the masses and then misunderstood (ie. "gay disease" = non-gays can't get the disease.)

Cuuute~

While I'm sure there were (and are) many struggles along Chii's journey, I just love how lighthearted this is presented. It just oozes happiness and love!

I look forward to seeing more! Thanks Hachimitsu!

Well, in a way, there is a disorder (mental gender and biological sex do no match), but the DMR doesn't list this 'disorder', it lists the 'dysphoria". That anguish and distress of having the wrong body. The DMR is a book used to identify and help treat mental afflictions. Since the mismatched feeling is the sore point, treatment goes into solving that distress, not try to fix the mental gender somehow.

Calling gender dysphoria a disease or disorder is a common thing done by transphobic people. An innocent word originally intended to help can be turned into something to hurt.

With the change from from GID to Gender Dysphoria there's more focus on helping people deal with their distress rather than seeing the actual gender as something to be fixed. This means that treatment might not always include transitioning.

So basically, the name change is so that resources can be directed to solve the mental affliction and to mitigate the misuse of the term "disorder" as a form of mockery, but the term itself isn't actually incorrect.

Did I get it right?

Well, this is unusually cute.

Now bear with my ignorance, since I have close to zero knowledge about this topic, but I'm curious as to why wouldn't it be considered a disorder. Wouldn't the disorder between a person's mental and physical condition be a, well, disorder?

Well, in a way, there is a disorder (mental gender and biological sex do no match), but the DMR doesn't list this 'disorder', it lists the 'dysphoria". That anguish and distress of having the wrong body. The DMR is a book used to identify and help treat mental afflictions. Since the mismatched feeling is the sore point, treatment goes into solving that distress, not try to fix the mental gender somehow.

Calling gender dysphoria a disease or disorder is a common thing done by transphobic people. An innocent word originally intended to help can be turned into something to hurt.

With the change from from GID to Gender Dysphoria there's more focus on helping people deal with their distress rather than seeing the actual gender as something to be fixed. This means that treatment might not always include transitioning.

Well, this is unusually cute.

Now bear with my ignorance, since I have close to zero knowledge about this topic, but I'm curious as to why wouldn't it be considered a disorder. Wouldn't the disorder between a person's mental and physical condition be a, well, disorder?

LOL at ch 2... XD

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics