Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.38 - 50votes)

Purgatory Dead Roll

Alt Names: alt 煉獄デッドロールalt Purgatory Deadrollalt Rengoku Dead Rolealt Rengoku Dead Rollalt Rengoku Deadroll
Author: Kawamoto Homura
Artist: Yoshimura Hideaki
Genres: Action ActionHorror HorrorMystery MysteryPsychological PsychologicalShounen ShounenSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Meet Sakai Hiroaki, a high school teenage mastermind with a genius-level intelligence and a lack of interest in anything that is easy to him.

During one unlucky day, in an attempt to stop a student from committing suicide, he ends up committing suicide himself.

After he awakens, he finds himself not in the real world, nor in heaven, but in purgatory, along with a group of others who did the same: commit suicide.

Sakai discovers that he and his peers are subjected to never-ending intense death games in this world for reasons unknown to him, and he tries to find a way to escape.
Go to Purgatory Dead Roll Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Purgatory Dead Roll released chapter discussions. New Window truepurple
  • 4 Replies

83 Comments

There aren't really any logical reason as of now, but if i understand this right, it was because that plan basically kills the game's thrill and suspense, and doing so is dangerous because it was implied that that could anger the "Game Dealer". It appears that these mysterious Dealers want each and every game to be a spectacular death game show.

Well, there was huge flaw, which would make this cyber battle pointless.

You could choose how many points use in battle.So everybody(including the killer) would give 1 point. 

That aide, can someone explain why having everyone battle in the beginning wouldn't work? The strategy suggested by Prim.
If the killer loses in a battle, the others win, and if the killer resists, it would be obvious who the killer is.
Y is this no good?

There aren't really any logical reason as of now, but if i understand this right, it was because that plan basically kills the game's thrill and suspense, and doing so is dangerous because it was implied that that could anger the "Game Dealer". It appears that these mysterious Dealers want each and every game to be a spectacular death game show.

In my opinion the actual route is

Spoiler

Yeah, and if the killer kills them tonight, he gets 4 points for 11 total.
As the Hat Girl said, 11 would be enough to kill everyone tomorrow.

That aide, can someone explain why having everyone battle in the beginning wouldn't work? The strategy suggested by Prim.
If the killer loses in a battle, the others win, and if the killer resists, it would be obvious who the killer is.
Y is this no good?

What about building a barricade in your room? put stuff on the door to slow down the killer, the electroshock will last a few minutes, if the killer cannot break your barrier in those minutes it'll become dangerous for the killer to keep attacking.  

That strategy sounds like an action-horror solution to a psychological-horror problem, which means it's guaranteed to fail in the most spectacular way possible.  Serious answer is the barricade only works if the killer uses paralysis before opening the door.

When the dealer was explaining the rules (at least in translation) it seems like they were ambiguous as to whether anyone can get points by killing or if that only applies to the killer, or what happens (or doesn't happen) if a 'battle' results in a tie. For that matter, Kagamiya's explanation made no indication whether randomly killing everyone during a game (outside of the game's rules, as long as you 'win' the game itself) would the affect the overall score counter.  I'm guessing publication would include 'supplementary' materials just to explain all of the insane corner-cases, unless the author is trolling.

Apparently, the official name for this series is "Rengoku Dead Role" (where Rengoku means Purgatory).
I'm going to keep the Purgatory in the name, but I'd like your opinions as to whether to keep the "Roll" or change it to "Role" from now on.
Thanks for reading~

Roll with it.

Jokes aside, I think you should change it. It helps avoid any unnecessary confusion down the line, and is as you said closer to the original title.

What about building a barricade in your room? put stuff on the door to slow down the killer, the electroshock will last a few minutes, if the killer cannot break your barrier in those minutes it'll become dangerous for the killer to keep attacking.  

Soo, Town of Salem game?

Kind of like an sk-mayor hybrid vs. a bunch of vets with no alerts lol

The author went with the "I left body parts to make people believe they are dead, but aren't" move. I was kinda expecting it to go with the " I joined the want to be alive team, but I actually want to die" plan, but both works I guess. 

In my opinion the actual route is

Spoiler

Werewolf game

And this is why most mangas suck these days.

It depends tho. An overused setting based on concept in real life could be boring. It's fine if authors want to make their own twist and interpretation to real life concept, as long they can execute it finely.

Soo, Town of Salem game?

It's a work of fiction, so... whatever the author says is how *this* fictional world works.

...might be worth pointing out, there isn't any indication the protagonist made a conscious decision to die.  But for all we know, the rules could be arbitrary and/or inconsistent and twenty chapters from now we'll find out the God of Plot Holes said "I would kinda like to save that guy, but not enough to get out of bed before noon. Shove him in the 'suicide' bin and let him miracle his own ass out of that afterlife thing"

And this is why most mangas suck these days.

Honestly, I could care less if the minutiae of the plot is bad or good. It's not egregiously terrible in any way and the art is absolutely fantastic, so I like it.

The author went with the "I left body parts to make people believe they are dead, but aren't" move. I was kinda expecting it to go with the " I joined the want to be alive team, but I actually want to die" plan, but both works I guess. 

Apparently, the official name for this series is "Rengoku Dead Role" (where Rengoku means Purgatory).

I'm going to keep the Purgatory in the name, but I'd like your opinions as to whether to keep the "Roll" or change it to "Role" from now on.

Thanks for reading~

Basically the author didn't do any research.

It's a work of fiction, so... whatever the author says is how *this* fictional world works.

...might be worth pointing out, there isn't any indication the protagonist made a conscious decision to die.  But for all we know, the rules could be arbitrary and/or inconsistent and twenty chapters from now we'll find out the God of Plot Holes said "I would kinda like to save that guy, but not enough to get out of bed before noon. Shove him in the 'suicide' bin and let him miracle his own ass out of that afterlife thing"

No. This is Basically a word between life and death where both good and bad people are send that did suicide.

The true punishment for suicide: a world midway between GANTZ and Liar Game.

Only thing that i find annoying is that MC didnt commit suicide, he sacrificed him self to save another. And souls of those who sacrifice themselves go to heaven, not purgatory, also suicide is considered a crime against god and those souls go directly to hell. No purgatory involved.

Apart of that, seems interesting.

No. This is Basically a word between life and death where both good and bad people are send that did suicide.

Only thing that i find annoying is that MC didnt commit suicide, he sacrificed him self to save another. And souls of those who sacrifice themselves go to heaven, not purgatory, also suicide is considered a crime against god and those souls go directly to hell. No purgatory involved.

Loli dealer...

Spoiler

This is more promising than I thought it'd be. Seems more like seinen than shounen, which is definitely a good thing. 

hmm, i don't know man. they already do suicide anyway, so in a sense they already want/accept dead, right?( except mc ) oh well probably gonna still stick to read it because i suck for death game and like the art

Welp, where's Monokuma?

He's sure to like this one game. :P

P.S.

GASMASK-WEARING LOLI DEALER.

This reminds me of "Zero no Maria", though slightly less horrifying.

This looks good it's not even up on MAL yet.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/94704/Rengoku_Deadroll

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics