Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.69 - 290votes)

Boku wa Ohime-sama ni Narenai

Alt Names: alt 僕はお姫様になれないalt Boku wa Ohimesama ni Narenaialt 나는 공주님이 될 수 없다alt I Can't Be a Princess
Author: Wakabayashi Toshiya
Artist: Wakabayashi Toshiya
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaGender Bender Gender BenderRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: From the master of love comedy manga, Wakabayashi Toshiya, comes a high school fairy tale about love☆!

Shindou Rei (Cinderella) comes from a very poor family. Her only clothes are hand-me-downs from her brother, even her school uniform. So everyone always mistakes her for a boy. Even her close friend Hakuba Ouji (white horse prince), who starts developing confusing feelings toward her all the while believing she's a boy. Tsukumo Yuki (Snow White) is the leader of a delinquent gang and falls in love with Rei at first sight, also believing her to be a boy.

Go to Boku wa Ohime-sama ni Narenai Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Boku wa Ohime-sama ni Narenai raw translation New Window segawon
  • 5 Replies

603 Comments

Mirror-san is the best troll of the story

nope, that's the love master

Spoiler

Mirror-san is the best troll of the story

Newsflash: so are you.

Technically, she isn't until she finds out the true gender of the person she admires and then chooses to continue liking said person.

"She's fucking gay!"

Newsflash: so are you.

Also, I can't help but notice that mirror is a bit of a jerk. Its answers keep making things more and more complicated. She should get a new one.

this girl is looking at the face of insanity

It's her!

It's Saber! She is Saber! :v 

Aside from the fish, I don't really get much of a mermaid vibe from her though. Plus "fish out of water" is an English proverb, not a Japanese saying. I think you've got the wrong fish-related fairy tale there. 

The kanji for her last name is written "竜宮", which is the same kanji as the ryuugujo (dragon palace) in the Japanese fairy tale "Urashima Taro". The ryuugujo is an underwater palace where time passes 100 years on the surface for every one day inside. When Urashima Taro visited the palace for 3 days, then returned to the surface, he felt completely lost as too much time had passed. 

Ryuuguu Palace is also just known as a place where mermaids hang out and while it is an English phrase the little mermaid is obviously well-known. The main issue with her character is culture and not time period. The difference in culture is the very foundation of the little mermaid story too-- she comes to the surface and doesn't understand her new surroundings.

Then there's the part where Tarou is a guy, and Mao is a girl, another inconsistency. All the other characters are gender correct to their source and each girl is supposed to be based on a princess.
Which would mean she should be based on the princess in Urashima Tarou (and not the fisherman), who doesn't really have any issue of that sort, and she never even leaves the palace, which doesn't sound like Mao in this story at all, does it? Not to mention she has an actual Japanese name that would have been easy to use but the author avoided using it. Otohime was by most accounts dragon not mermaid, as in she's the daughter of the japanese god of the sea who is a dragon. Some accounts also have her transforming into a dragon when she gives birth.

All that aside, it even states on the back cover "A country girl with a complex like that of a mermaid princess." So yeah, I'm confident we got it right! :D

Edit:

"A girl who is poor like cinderella that dresses in men's clothes. A pure-hearted yankee with seven companions like snow white. A country girl with a complex like a mermaid princess's. These slightly broken princesses's love lives are a bit complicated." - is the full quote from the back, all the characters are based on Western fairy tales, which makes the little mermaid a more reasonable choice.

Aside from the fish, I don't really get much of a mermaid vibe from her though. Plus "fish out of water" is an English proverb, not a Japanese saying. I think you've got the wrong fish-related fairy tale there. 

The kanji for her last name is written "竜宮", which is the same kanji as the ryuugujo (dragon palace) in the Japanese fairy tale "Urashima Taro". The ryuugujo is an underwater palace where time passes 100 years on the surface for every one day inside. When Urashima Taro visited the palace for 3 days, then returned to the surface, he felt completely lost as too much time had passed. 

Also, if you read the TL notes on the following page you can also see we explained them.

http://vatoto.com/read/_/344427/boku-wa-ohime-sama-ni-narenai_v1_ch1_by_doki-fansubs/3

this just keeps getting better and better, need the new chapter like now

The first thing that caught my attention is the name "Kagami Kyouko".

I thought long and hard... I feel like I've seen this name somewhere before... Witch Craft Works? No... I wonder where...

And then a simple google search hit me.

Spoiler

Then again... the manga she was in also has the same name... without "Works"...

Oh geez.

You are mistaken.

Shindou Rei is based on Cinderella, not Tatsumiyo Mao.

oops, my bad.

omy god the master is at it again.

...Yeah,he's gay

Honestly....<3

Ouji in this chapter:

Spoiler

If you look in the cover you will se that each one of them has their "main feature" pointed out, Mao with a fish near her and Rei holding THE slipper.

Also, if you read the TL notes on the following page you can also see we explained them.

http://vatoto.com/read/_/344427/boku-wa-ohime-sama-ni-narenai_v1_ch1_by_doki-fansubs/3

recent chapter based her as cinderella.

well, not that you could know when you made that post, i just felt it needed to be pointed out.

If you look in the cover you will se that each one of them has their "main feature" pointed out, Mao with a fish near her and Rei holding THE slipper.

well, not that you could know when you made that post, i just felt it needed to be pointed out.

You are mistaken.

Shindou Rei is based on Cinderella, not Tatsumiyo Mao.

So, Tatsumiya Mao = Little mermaid.

LMAO! It's clear that Ouji-kun wants to be more than friends with Rei as he keeps giving someone that "looks" like her "sausages" and "eggs".

What is Saber doing here? O_o

Ouji x Mao OTP

Mao kinda remind of Ebina...

Without plot tho...

lol

I imagined her talking like Ebina-chan.

Ouji x Mao OTP

Mao kinda remind of Ebina...

Without plot tho...

lol

But Ebina without PLOT is Megumi

Ouji x Mao OTP