Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.37 - 191votes)

Higashi no Kurume to Tonari no Meguru

Alt Names: alt 東のくるめと隣のめぐる
Author: Abiko Yu
Artist: Abiko Yu
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeSeinen SeinenSlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kousuke has a boring high-school life, but he sits next to his crush--the really popular, cute Tsukahara Meguru, who has a cool, stoic personality. One day, his parents announce that they're moving, but that he'll still be able to attend the same school. The new apartment building has a lovely river and friendly neighbors... and it is next door to where Tsukahara lives! Outside of school, she seems to have a completely different personality, friendly and a little quirky. She makes him promise not to tell the others at school how she acts at home, but why does she put on such an act for her classmates? [tethysdust]
Go to Higashi no Kurume to Tonari no Meguru Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic A Halloween Full of Girls? New Window Fadamor
  • 0 Replies
Topic Need a translator!! New Window Kiddo
  • 1 Replies

308 Comments

Slowly, yet surely...

The art is better suited for comedy..

I can't feel the atmosphere at all when the topic goes serious

I think we need to change the spoiler tag usage culture on batoto because sometimes you click and it's an actual spoiler and you're like fuuuu... oh wait it was marked...
Note: actual spoiler below (if it's true), don't click it.

Well, if you want to find out, here's the raws:
http://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_CW01000015010000_68/

Is it just me or page 17~18 is the same ?

Welp, at least now she's considering love.

I think we need to change the spoiler tag usage culture on batoto because sometimes you click and it's an actual spoiler and you're like fuuuu... oh wait it was marked...

Note: actual spoiler below (if it's true), don't click it.

Fine, I guess it is sorta a "harem"... though most certainly not by the end.

Spoiler

End of chapter 11 sucked, honestly. It felt like it ended in the middle of a chapter. I liked 12, tho'.
Fine, I guess it is sorta a "harem"... though most certainly not by the end.
Spoiler

You pose the basis of an interesting idea for nomenclature - I think most harems fall into the subcategories of "Black Hole Harem" (the MC is so dense that not even light can escape and all the girls are in decaying orbits, like Nisekoi) or "OTP Harem" (everyone knows the MC has One True Love but they keep flirting anyway, like Love Hina).

But with respect to excluding most harem titles by narrowing the definition, I have to respectfully disagree. A harem manga is any title where the MC could wind up with one or more of three or more different characters, and most fans with any actual experience in love would have to honestly admit that all of those endings are believable in context. (For the record, I chose the wording with some care. If someone disagrees that's fine, but if you change it, the changed version is your definition.)

Does anyone think he'll end up with the imouto? It's pretty obvious she has an innocent crush and it's nothing serious. I don't see here as a potential love interest, seeing how they have almost no interactions compared to other girls and, well, I think he's almost twice her age. Don't exactly remember how old she is (or if it was mentioned).

...IT'S NOT A HAREM.

Why did someone add a harem tag? Harem is when the guy has equal feelings for every girl or at least feels something for most of his "harem".

It's not a harem when he has one girl he likes and others are just friends/acquaintances.

Check senmanga, 26th chapter is tagged as last one.

I marked it as a Harem. 
It has all the same qualities as a Harem Manga, multiple female characters, at least two of which have feelings of romance for MC even if he specifically has feelings for only one character. In the classic sense, it matches up with the definition of a Harem. 

The same "Oh it's not a harem" bull has been used on manga about transgender characters and how it shouldn't be marked as Gender bender when in the most classic sense, it is. Though in those cases, gender bender also served as a reference point so that people like me could find a story we relate with. 

I'm gonna be honest, Raku is so dense that for the majority of the story he couldn't even tell who he likes.

Nisekoi is a genre of its own - the "dense pseudo-romance".

You pose the basis of an interesting idea for nomenclature - I think most harems fall into the subcategories of "Black Hole Harem" (the MC is so dense that not even light can escape and all the girls are in decaying orbits, like Nisekoi) or "OTP Harem" (everyone knows the MC has One True Love but they keep flirting anyway, like Love Hina).

But with respect to excluding most harem titles by narrowing the definition, I have to respectfully disagree. A harem manga is any title where the MC could wind up with one or more of three or more different characters, and most fans with any actual experience in love would have to honestly admit that all of those endings are believable in context. (For the record, I chose the wording with some care. If someone disagrees that's fine, but if you change it, the changed version is your definition.)

I'm gonna be honest, Raku is so dense that for the majority of the story he couldn't even tell who he likes.

Harem would be something like Monster Musume or The World God Only Knows. Series where MC likes one girl and two or three girls "maybe" like him isn't harem. One of them is basically a child who is infatuated and the other barely met him and doesn't know if she loves him or likes him.

And the girl he likes isn't really in love with him either. Going by the logic "one MC, many girls" even series like Great Teacher Onizuka would be a harem because he likes one girl, she kind of likes him and there are multiple girls that like or even in some cases loved him (first arc for example) or felt strong positive feelings.

Or people nowadays jump on the Harem bandwagon way too fast.

If there is more than 3 girls like the MC it is, by definition, a harem. If we follow your definition, as christopher said, you would omit series like rosario vampire, ichigo 100%, DxD which japan itself admit as harem.

Oh and raku himself is pretty obvious like onodera, this is a fact.

By your logic nisekoi is not a harem

Harem would be something like Monster Musume or The World God Only Knows. Series where MC likes one girl and two or three girls "maybe" like him isn't harem. One of them is basically a child who is infatuated and the other barely met him and doesn't know if she loves him or likes him.

And the girl he likes isn't really in love with him either. Going by the logic "one MC, many girls" even series like Great Teacher Onizuka would be a harem because he likes one girl, she kind of likes him and there are multiple girls that like or even in some cases loved him (first arc for example) or felt strong positive feelings.

What's with it's not a harem thing it is a harem as long as their is 3 or more person liking a single guy it is a harem it doesn't matter if the guy likes everybody or nobody in the harem the important point is that their are 3 or more girls in love with MC. one good example of a harem where MC doesn't like anybody is hayate no gutoku so yeah i recommend it lol.(well their "was" one but stuff spoiler read it first)

I think people who says this isn't a harem probably is new to the genre. 

Or people nowadays jump on the Harem bandwagon way too fast. 

What's with it's not a harem thing it is a harem as long as their is 3 or more person liking a single guy it is a harem it doesn't matter if the guy likes everybody or nobody in the harem the important point is that their are 3 or more girls in love with MC. one good example of a harem where MC doesn't like anybody is hayate no gutoku so yeah i recommend it lol.(well their "was" one but stuff spoiler read it first)

I think people who says this isn't a harem probably is new to the genre. 

By his logic, I don't think you can label anything a harem that isn't hentai or borderline H.

...IT'S NOT A HAREM.

Why did someone add a harem tag? Harem is when the guy has equal feelings for every girl or at least feels something for most of his "harem".

It's not a harem when he has one girl he likes and others are just friends/acquaintances.

Lol, "harem". Thanks for the laugh, guys.

Short answer: No it fucking isn't. Go and read the raws. In the end he only likes one girl and only one.

so, dxd is not a harem? because he's fucking loving rias only 

...IT'S NOT A HAREM.

uh i disagree with your statement here, Harem do not have to have Romance to be Harem, because harem is "A series involving one male character and many female characters (usually attracted to the male character). A Reverse Harem is when the genders are reversed".(Reference Tag Harem in Bato.to)

Usually is not a must, so as long as a lone male mc surrounded with girls it will called harem even although there is no romance.

and well, btw we still in ch10 so i cant judge it personally(although raws already up to ch26, but i dont like spoiling myself) so far i too feel the harem part in this series but i will try to believe eventhough this one has "harem" but it not like other disgusting harem manga which have perverted mc(even some of the mc admits if he really a pervert) and full of fan service but no story, personally i hate that type of "harem" too...

like the old man say, dont hate the tag but hate the stories lol

Lol, "harem". Thanks for the laugh, guys.

Short answer: No it fucking isn't. Go and read the raws. In the end he only likes one girl and only one.

...IT'S NOT A HAREM.

Where did you hear that?
Thanks for the chapters, Bosen!!

Spoiler

Goddamit, fucking why. Yet another manga turning into haremshit. FUCKING DROPPED

Thanks btw

Wait what? I haven't check on this manga for quite some times and suddenly there's a harem tag?

WHAT THE FUCK?

Can somebody explain this shit to me this please

Spoiler

No prob~
Anyway, not quite right but it does end fast (26 chapters only).The raws itself is already been up for quite some time. So yeah, we're about half of the overall story :)

Darn! Why, why everytime the interesting stories doesn't last that long...?
I would like a world with a lot of slice of life stories that run for a long time like yotsuba, barakamon or bokura wa minna kawaisou...
Oh well, I just hope for this manga to have a conclusive ending instead of an open one...

Where did you hear that?
Thanks for the chapters, Bosen!!

No prob~

Anyway, not quite right but it does end fast (26 chapters only).The raws itself is already been up for quite some time. So yeah, we're about half of the overall story :)

Suddenly Tsubasa likes Kousuke! Alright, let's see what happens next...

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics