Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.63 - 131votes)

Soul Catcher(S)

Alt Names: alt -ソウルキャッチャーズ-
Author: Shinkai Hideo
Artist: Shinkai Hideo
Genres: Action ActionDrama DramaMusic MusicSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Kamine Shouta is a boy who is able to "see" people's hearts, though the ability has caused him to distance himself from people. His meeting with saxophone player Tokisaka Hibiki changes both of them for the better, and Tokisaka convinces Kamine to join the school concert band. Now Kamine, who knows nothing about music, will have to use his ability to win over the band's section leaders in the hopes of leading the band to the national competition next year... as its conductor!
Go to Soul Catcher(S) Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Current/New Chapter Discussion New Window Kiken_Tenshi
  • 1 Replies

170 Comments

nice another update.

Well... copying or looking at the full music helps even if you're a player. It allows you to understand music well and where you fall. The band isn't just about individual's skill to play, but also skill to cooperate with others and make music together. Plus, my band conductor also ask the band members to take a look at his score if and when we can so we know to cooperate with & bring out other sections. (Now that I think back, he did joke about having us copy the whole thing by hands. lol.)

Yeah, it's important to know what's happening around you when you play, and to look at the others' parts. But that's different from what they do here: they copy (not just study, not just look at) thousands of scores which they will never play.

Have you ever copied a full orchestra score for the knowledge/training/anything it would give you?

Spoiler

PS: You're in a band? Cool! What instrument do you play?

For the clarinets, it may make them better understand the theory of music, but just carefully reading it and listening to it would work better and be way faster (and that way, they could study more scores in the same time). Moreover, they are music players, not music writers. If their aim is to play well, they should spend more time working on their instrument to have a good sound and enough stamina, good fingers dexterity and good ability to read a score fast; and maybe being able to play what was written for another instrument (though that mostly matters in small ill-prepared orchestras). In an orchestra, you don't improvise (for which you may need the theory), you play what's written on the score.

Well... copying or looking at the full music helps even if you're a player. It allows you to understand music well and where you fall. The band isn't just about individual's skill to play, but also skill to cooperate with others and make music together. Plus, my band conductor also ask the band members to take a look at his score if and when we can so we know to cooperate with & bring out other sections. (Now that I think back, he did joke about having us copy the whole thing by hands. lol.)

if you read carefully he only had him copying thos scores because he thought he wouldn't be able to do it or give up on asking him for help

yeah, but then we see the clarinets do it too; that shows the character thinks it's something useful, if tiring and liable to make someone give up.
For the clarinets, it may make them better understand the theory of music, but just carefully reading it and listening to it would work better and be way faster (and that way, they could study more scores in the same time). Moreover, they are music players, not music writers. If their aim is to play well, they should spend more time working on their instrument to have a good sound and enough stamina, good fingers dexterity and good ability to read a score fast; and maybe being able to play what was written for another instrument (though that mostly matters in small ill-prepared orchestras). In an orchestra, you don't improvise (for which you may need the theory), you play what's written on the score.

Actually, I get that the mangaka (thought he) needed a material proof of how hardworking the two clarinets had been; I just think in music it doesn't exist, and he should have found a way around it.

Spoiler

Link please? My Google search turned up nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STpg4LRA1z4

Is it this?

How exactly is copying scores without understanding the first thing about it (not what it means nor how it sounds) supposed to make you a better conductor? And how is copying scores supposed to make you a better clarinet player?

That's the part that irked me. Then more inconsistencies crept up:

if you read carefully he only had him copying thos scores because he thought he wouldn't be able to do it or give up on asking him for help. and how it help to play a clarinet. maybe it just helps to give a better understanding about how the scores work, like notes following each other up, pauzes between notes, other instruments joining in,....

Spoiler

How exactly is copying scores without understanding the first thing about it (not what it means nor how it sounds) supposed to make you a better conductor? And how is copying scores supposed to make you a better clarinet player?

That's the part that irked me. Then more inconsistencies crept up:

Spoiler

nice promo. does anyone know which music piece is used in it

Link please? My Google search turned up nothing.

nice promo. does anyone know which music piece is used in it

The words I live by is: "If you want something done, do it yourself"

Apart from that, be bloody patient, reading scanlations isn't a right, it's a privilege.

And when somebody decided that he couldn't wait and just "do it himself", as with the case of more popular title, drama happens, when 2 or more groups fight for early release -_-

After watching the promo video, I really wish Soul Catcher got big enough to get an anime. Its soundtrack would be epic

Also, the clarinet section is HOT O.o

Where is chapter 1? I didn't even notice I missed it until I watched the promotional trailer. That was a great opening for the manga. Not even gonna lie I almost cried reading it.

please update this fast.. it is already on its 34th chapter in japan..

The words I live by is: "If you want something done, do it yourself"

Apart from that, be bloody patient, reading scanlations isn't a right, it's a privilege.

I don't understand. Even I found raws, you just need to ask a permission to use a translation, but still, it doesn't update.

"Raws" : http://www.cartoonclub-th.com/soul-Catchers/10/

Translation : http://mangahelpers.com/t/lynxian/releases/38894

whats really bad is that its been translated up to chapter 16 already for the same group (just the text). they are probably just looking for some HQ raws.

also chapter 38 has been out for a week already.

This is so Shonen... SO JUMP.

I don't understand. Even I found raws, you just need to ask a permission to use a translation, but still, it doesn't update.

"Raws" : http://www.cartoonclub-th.com/soul-Catchers/10/

Translation : http://mangahelpers.com/t/lynxian/releases/38894

Promotional video of Soul Catcher(S):
Spoiler

please update this fast.. it is already on its 34th chapter in japan..

How's a guy that can literally READ PEOPLE'S HEARTS not going to be able to tell if a girl likes somebody

That's the problem, he reads people's heart too litterally, in fact, exactly as they look like to him. Matter of love is more figurative.

Dang, they just captured my soul on the first ch... -caught up- I want maor.

How's a guy that can literally READ PEOPLE'S HEARTS not going to be able to tell if a girl likes somebody

So thats why there is a mermaid and dinosaur on the cover

Want more of this! Manga's with reading's people hearts, minds or emotions are always bound to be amazing. Cause the depth of people hearts can create universes, characters, stories, scenarios and so on... it's like a infinite surge of information.

The raws are ahead, keep up the hard work guys and give us more. Thanks!

The concept is like a shonen version of Homunculus. But aside from that it's totally different though.

Great chapter! Thank you for translating the chapters! Continue the great job!

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics