Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.67 - 140votes)

Ascendance of a Bookworm

Alt Names: alt Ascendance of a Bookwormalt Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasenalt 本好きの下剋上 ~司書になるためには手段を選んでいられません~
Author: Kazuki Miya
Artist: Suzuka
Genres: Adventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasySlice of Life Slice of Life
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Urano, a bookworm who had finally found a job as a librarian at a university, was sadly killed shortly after graduating from college. She was reborn as the daughter of a soldier in a world where the literacy rate is low and books were scarce. No matter how much she wanted to read, there were no books around. What is a bookworm to do without any books? Make them, of course. Her goal is to become a librarian! So that she may once again live surrounded by books, she must start by making them herself.

Adapted from the light novel "Honzuki no Gekokujou."
========================================
Published on Nico Nico Seiga and marked as "Shoujo" Uh, yeah, it's not just guys who like putting themselves in MC's lives in isekai
Go to Ascendance of a Bookworm Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic I read the WN, AMA. New Window RoflCat
  • 20 Replies
Topic WN/LN Translations? New Window DaoFox
  • 6 Replies
Topic Maine Is Dead New Window ConstantErasing
  • 6 Replies

286 Comments

I see. I thought the fact he was using an abacus meant that they hadn't learned more efficient methods of math, not that he was deficient in his ability, or was that my mistake?  

Also, I suppose they don't know double account booking. Looks like those papers could be better organized.

In East Asia, depending on training and regular use, the abacus is actually the second most efficient method after the calculator. The best abacus users can do complex multiplication and division within seconds.

It's not that they weren't invented. It's that he didn't learn it. It's something we take for granted in 20th century education, but back then, people who could do more than just simple addition and subtraction were merchants and nobles because school was a privilege only rich kids could enjoy fully.

Plus, even for people who know arithmetic, giant stacks of paper budgeting is a bigger nightmare in an era without Microsoft Excel.

I see. I thought the fact he was using an abacus meant that they hadn't learned more efficient methods of math, not that he was deficient in his ability, or was that my mistake?  

Also, I suppose they don't know double account booking. Looks like those papers could be better organized.

I wasn't taught how to make gunpowder or soap in any of my chemistry classes. You suffer from the same assumptions as most of these isekai web authors. I didn't know how to make soap until I read Seiun wo Kakeru, yet a lot of these authors seem to think that it's as common knowledge as basic language.

depends a lot where you grew up as well as what kind of parents you had, in my country most kids learn how to make basic soap when they're around ~7 years old from school. It's not comparable in quality to store bought soap obviously, but it is actual soap and does work as soap.

I was also playing with boxcutters and knives to strip wires and make basic electrical stuff (e.g. flashlight) when I was around ~5 due to my parents being quite encouraging in that area. On the other hand, some of my friends weren't even allowed to touch anything sharp until they're about 10.

I learned basic kitchen safety and how to cook simple things at 3 years old, and was then taught even more knowledge about cooking at around age 6 at school

I first learned how to weave (using ribbons) at around age 3 as well.

None of the skills/information she's displayed has been out of place for someone with the brain of a 20 something bookworm. It's been shown that even though she knows how to do some things, she doesn't have the skill for it e.g. papyrus.

Aww, Otto is married! I was low-key shipping them, especially given the MC's age prior to being thrust into this medieval world. Kinda like a reverse Eriol-Kaho thing.

Hmm, should the guy be having this much trouble with basic math? The number system seems modern. Numerals, not words, base ten, and the 0 has been invented. When were modern math equations invented?

It's not that they weren't invented. It's that he didn't learn it. It's something we take for granted in 20th century education, but back then, people who could do more than just simple addition and subtraction were merchants and nobles because school was a privilege only rich kids could enjoy fully.

Plus, even for people who know arithmetic, giant stacks of paper budgeting is a bigger nightmare in an era without Microsoft Excel.

Hmm, should the guy be having this much trouble with basic math? The number system seems modern. Numerals, not words, base ten, and the 0 has been invented. When were modern math equations invented?

Dad 1 Otto 0

It's more like Dad 2 Otto 2

Dad 1 Otto 0

Well technically, Otto had some points already for giving her that slate.

Dad 1 Otto 0

I hope it's not foreshadowing something terrible in the future. I want to keep reading manga full of fluff.

Depends on whether you consider tragedy as based on the events of the story (i.e. if a guy suffer like hell until the very end when he become happy, it's still tragedy to you) or only the final state of things.

Spoiler

She's 6 years old but very short because of disease. She may even stay that size if the fever had caused some brain damage.

PM me if you want spoiler on the fever (and whether she'll remain TINY) :v since it's a fairly big thing.

Foreshadowing in this chapter

Spoiler

Just started reading this... But is she like, 1 or 2 years old when she reincarnated? Because she's WAY too small (height wise) to be any older, yet somehow nobody bats an eye at her talking like normal, so she can't be that young, at the very least 4 years old to be able to speak, 5 to 6 for speaking fluently... yet she's that tiny...

She's 6 years old but very short because of disease. She may even stay that size if the fever had caused some brain damage.

Just started reading this... But is she like, 1 or 2 years old when she reincarnated? Because she's WAY too small (height wise) to be any older, yet somehow nobody bats an eye at her talking like normal, so she can't be that young, at the very least 4 years old to be able to speak, 5 to 6 for speaking fluently... yet she's that tiny...

aww what a cute chapter, lol her over-attached dad is too funny. Otto is adorable as well, too bad he is married already and probably like 20 years older than her LOL

I hope it's not foreshadowing something terrible in the future. I want to keep reading manga full of fluff.

She introduces mass printing and bookbinding to the masses but gets put in prison after writing Fanny Hill.

Today's chapter had a lot of great content in it. Thanks, EGS!

This entire family is cute tbh.

It's so cute that I'm just dying from sweetness!

"CUTENESS IS JUSTICE!" she speaks the truth!

aaaaagh, this little fluffball is too adorable

Spoiler

the "tragedy" tag is a bit extreme imo.....

Tfw mom steals your shit

You should read Robinson Crusoe (and most of Jules Vern, and a batch of other similar "people stranded on unknown island/hidden valley somewhere" books that were really popular a couple decades ago).

It's not a new trend by any means.

If you look at something like Jules Verne's "The Mysterious Island", for instance, the thing about Verne's characters is that they could do amazing re-creation of technological civilization because they were near supermen--brilliant knowledgeable people with backgrounds in both science and practical engineering--and Verne made it convincing with lots of long-winded explanations of chapter and verse about how to do this stuff.  There's a strong kinship with "The Martian", actually; Verne's heroes were the kind of exceptional dudes who could "science the shit out of" their situations.

Verne wouldn't have written a story about some ignorant everyman doing this stuff, because he wasn't interested in ignorant everymen he was interested in the heroes of science! who were bringing us the future.

Spoiler

There's a difference between common knowledge and what you can learn through self-teaching. For example, the MC of this story can weave because of particular things that happened to her in her previous life that lead to her learning this ability. But in a lot of these other stories, these people are making bombs, soap, etc. with knowledge that they just have from living a normal life in their previous world, which is what I'm calling bullshit on.

Well in Gunota, mc made guns because he worked in a gun factory... Albeit he blew up his arms once while trying to do it at first.

the "tragedy" tag is a bit extreme imo.....

:3

I can make papyrus paper in a jiffy.

Just need to soak stripes, not straws

Yea this is her limitation. She can only make somthing she familiar with. Her next project will be a blast.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics