Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.65 - 251votes)

Drifters

Alt Names: alt ドリフターズalt Başıboşlaralt 漂泊者alt Скитальцыalt التائهون
Author: Hirano Kouta
Artist: Hirano Kouta
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureComedy ComedyDrama DramaFantasy FantasyHistorical HistoricalSeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The story of Drifters takes place during Japan's Sengoku period (roughly 15th to 17th century), a time of constant warring between the island's states, and a natural setting of choice for samurai stories. A young samurai on verge of death suddenly finds himself into another, fantastic world, alongside important military figures from history. How? Why? These questions remain unanswered.

============Notice================
Please refrain from further changing the image of the volume cover. Non-compliance will result in a warning.
==========Notice End==============
Go to Drifters Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Black King Identity New Window Tim Wills
  • 13 Replies
Topic When is this going to continue? New Window wjustinn
  • 1 Replies
Topic Black King New Window Tim Wills
  • 7 Replies
Topic I think this Manga is masturbation New Window Similar-man
  • 2 Replies
Topic Thank You New Window xscraid
  • 10 Replies
Topic New chapters? New Window evil6961
  • 9 Replies

546 Comments

THE BARCA

Sees a dragon?  New mount.

Best logic.

This "accent" is awful. Just awful.

I must've missed/forgotten that part, why is Hannibal all alone in a mountain somewhere away from the fight?

>Implying he's not already planning the next battle.

He sees a rampaging dragon and the first thing he thinks of is "I gotta ride it." The ultimate madman.

Best MCs always know how to make an entrance. WITH STYLE! OOh and comedy! Can't forget that! Nope nope nope.

Hijacking your buddy's spotlight doesn't hurt either... ;D

I must've missed/forgotten that part, why is Hannibal all alone in a mountain somewhere away from the fight?

He fell over during runaway

i finished 22 pages in 5 secs wtf  i need more

Stay calm and don't give up territory unless absolutely required seems to be the theme for this release.

The title of the chapter is "yume-iro chaser" in Japanese, which is the title of the intro  song for a mecha anime titled Metal Armor Dragonar (thank you Super Robot Wars for introducing me to awesome mecha anime I didn't even know existed). And this chapter happens to be where the focus is on a dragon. Dragon -> Dragonar maybe? Maybe the translators know? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All the chapters of Drifters are named after Japanese pop/rock songs

I dunno if I'm grasping at straws here but I'm thinking that this is the reference/shout-out for this chapter's title: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItCMX3A1qaE

The title of the chapter is "yume-iro chaser" in Japanese, which is the title of the intro  song for a mecha anime titled Metal Armor Dragonar (thank you Super Robot Wars for introducing me to awesome mecha anime I didn't even know existed). And this chapter happens to be where the focus is on a dragon. Dragon -> Dragonar maybe? Maybe the translators know? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In the spirit of Easter, all hail the Black King! Also, apparently historians and archaeologists have recently come into the conclusion that nails were all that's needed to perform crucifixion and that descriptions of people being tied to crosses or poles actually refer to the method by which the Romans preposition their limbs for nailing. This conclusion was reached after statistical analysis of several ossuaries containing the bones of people in the ME who SURVIVED Roman crucifixion. Since it took a (long) while for someone to actually die from this punishment, if the family managed to bribe the right people or plea bargain with the magistrates, it was possible to save them. Survivors then had to be removed from their crosses and the pattern of recovery etched into their bones show how the nails were removed. In almost every single case, nails were removed from the back of the palm. This does mean every crucifix got it wrong, but people who insist on nailing through the wrist are even more wrong. Romans used large nails with a rectangular cross-section and they nailed their victims through the back of the palm so that their hands would be positioned above the crossbar, not in front of it. This position prevents tearing of the palm and also prevents the weight of the person from pulling his palm off the nail (a common occurence in the Phillippines during Good Friday reenactments). The natural reflex of the victim also plays a part because in this position his pain-triggered hand spasms would tighten his grip on the crossbar, keeping him in place. Legs are nailed in place using a single huge nail punched through one leg, the cross, the other leg, then affixed in place with a small wooden board at the other end. Tests with properly-weighted balistic gel mannequins prove that this method precludes the need to tie any limb. The nails and the natural reflex of the victim would do the job just fine.

If I remember right, in the story, it was mentioned that he ws called to other worlds to save them, and although he tried his best, humanity always betrayed his expectations. I can't really blame the guy for being pissed at humans, can I?

Well, something stinks. Whatever his identity is, he has a secret of sort. What did he hide under his cloak that one goblin happened to see and what he needs it for? Maybe there is limit to his powers. Maybe his goals are absolutely different.

I wonder how long its been since I've read a manga where characters just shit talk each other before fighting. I've missed it.

nowadays only Hirano and Gori-san can pull it off....

Haha, yes, if you want a pragmatic definition of Drifter vs. End, then absolutely, it really does just come down to who recruits who. That said...

Spoiler

Of course...that's just, like, my opinion, man!

How do you explain Hijikata then? He doesn't fit your theory on Ends abandoning what values they held in their previous life.

Grand Duchess Anastasia has not had much screen time, but she doesn't strike me as someone really angry in the Jean D'Arc mould. Rasputin too appears to have played for both camps based on his conversation with St. Germi.

Likewise, it's my opinion that speculating on who gets chosen to be a Drifter or End is superfluous when all that really matters is what the pawns do once they've been set on the game board. 

Big flaw in the theory: Nobunaga certainly did not want to roast to death inside Honnouji temple and makes it very clear in that panel he wasn't willing to be a human BBQ. 

The only difference between a Drifter and an End: Murasaki recruits the former and EASY the latter (plus she grants them some kind of supernatural power as part of the deal).

Haha, yes, if you want a pragmatic definition of Drifter vs. End, then absolutely, it really does just come down to who recruits who. That said...

Spoiler

Of course...that's just, like, my opinion, man!

That is an interesting theory, but I have a different take on it...

Spoiler

I think the difference between the Ends and the Drifters is not so much how they were killed, but the attitudes they had when they met their deaths. All of the Ends hold grudges that outlasted their deaths; the Drifters seem to have been individuals who are said to have accepted their deaths without negative emotions (or at least, they are portrayed in the manga as such).

Spoiler

Big flaw in the theory: Nobunaga certainly did not want to roast to death inside Honnouji temple and makes it very clear in that panel he wasn't willing to be a human BBQ. 

The only difference between a Drifter and an End: Murasaki recruits the former and EASY the latter (plus she grants them some kind of supernatural power as part of the deal). 

seeing how the bad guys are all characters who got killed or judged to death by the masses..

That is an interesting theory, but I have a different take on it...

Spoiler

I think the difference between the Ends and the Drifters is not so much how they were killed, but the attitudes they had when they met their deaths. All of the Ends hold grudges that outlasted their deaths; the Drifters seem to have been individuals who are said to have accepted their deaths without negative emotions (or at least, they are portrayed in the manga as such).

Spoiler

After all that from Nobunaga Mutsuhide retort being basically "ur mom(son)" it's pretty funny

Ouch... This fight just got seriously personal.

Them's fighting words, Mitsuhide.

I wonder how long its been since I've read a manga where characters just shit talk each other before fighting. I've missed it.

Spoiler

Which is currently not present at the battlefield and doesn't work anyway without the correct casing for bullets.

This release is merely a sideshow as Nobunaga and Mitsuhide have it out with each other in the new world. Assuming Nobunaga isn't too obsessed with taunting Mitsuhide into actually attacking personally, he still has to deal with the full-on frontal assault. 

Slightly disappointed Mitsuhide didn't try another cunning strategem after witnessing his giants fall short of the target, but he's got the numbers advantage and has a kumquat-sized strategic brain so didn't expect much else.

Spoiler

I say, just get them some pylons, as long as they have enough pylons, no zerg army will win against them.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics