Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.63 - 445votes)

Kanojo wa Rokurokubi

Alt Names: alt 彼女はろくろ首alt 그녀는 로쿠로쿠비alt Kanojyo wa Rokuro Kubialt She is the Rokurokubi
Author: Nieki Zui
Artist: Nieki Zui
Genres: Comedy ComedyDrama DramaRomance RomanceSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: A story about a long-necked girl's love life: Kanoi Natsuki and her childhood friend Itsuki visit the same school and there seems to be more between them besides friendship. As a Rokurokubi, her quirk of stretching her neck is normal for her and her surroundings, but it's not always her choice to stretch it and although she has feelings for Itsuki, she can't tell him what she feels. Ultimately, she has to go through misunderstandings and shame. Itsuki, meanwhile, manages to make any awkward situations dissolve... or maybe not!?
Go to Kanojo wa Rokurokubi Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Raws and spoilers New Window Nikkilak
  • 1 Replies

719 Comments

Oh boy, spoiler tag because I ended up writing an entire essay on this

Spoiler

I don't know penis about One Piece, but sgot pirates in, right? Maybe "crewmate", "shipmate", or "mate" would do?

Anyway, maximum agreement on each of your points one by one. I think a big reason people struggle with honorifics is the impulse to translate each particular Japanese word into one and only one discrete English word. It's really noticeable in, again, dubs, especially for anime that take place in high school (so, like, all of 'em), where you constantly hear, for example, a high school student refer to another high school student as "Miss Asahina", just because the translator just really NEEDED to find some equivalent for that "-san". Of course, this doesn't really work, since English-speaking high school students do not actually talk like this, so instead of preserving some piece of meaning from the Japanese, you've really just ended up with a bit of leftover cruft that doesn't fit together with the rest of the English in the setting.

That's not to say that weebiness is never a factor. I mean, the food itself is one thing, that's always culturally distinct, but come on, a lunchbox is a lunchbox.

Love this serie. Alot

I freaking ADORE this manga.

lmao the hitler fixed germany's economy myth

No, it is not entirely a myth.

Investing in research for weapons of war. Building war factories. Using jew slaves, farming humans as slaves actually helped the economy that was on the brink of destruction. Yes, everything he did was cruel, horrific, inexcusable and disgusting but his cruel methods helped the economy of his country and the people who supported his cruel and disgusting beliefs.

MidoriKitzune
Jun 10 2016 07:58 PM

Yup. Cute.

I hate his mom.

.... god riddens she's not around. Even if it sounds bad, it's for the better...

First of all thanks for your reply, this has lots of good, well thought out stuff I can agree with. I have actually done some translating (not from japanese though) that's why I brought it up, since it bothers me. Your example of the nature of japanese folklore is good but all I'm saying is for someone like me who is not probably as well versed in the mythologies or backgrounds, it makes things a whole lot more confusing. Of course the translation here is done to a fansite where you can expect most readers will be fans and know these things, but I'd rather make it more approachable, in a way, by not assuming everyone does.

Here's the thing: a good translation does not translate things word for word. That does make for strange sentences. A good translation conveys the meaning. For example translating a japanese idiom as is would be weird but finding an english equivalent would be good. Am I making any sense here?

I've always been supremely annoyed by all the onee-sans and onii-chans in translations. I stand by my opinion that you can convey their meaning by translating them. (the craziest this got was when One Piece was starting out and the whole 'nakama' debacle).

Oh boy, spoiler tag because I ended up writing an entire essay on this

Spoiler

All these feels. I have no idea what to do with them.

And even worse, they're nicely written feels. A bit blunt at times, but not anvilicious.

I used spoiler cause the reply is long

Spoiler

Also, to the polish girl... it is great that you know about your polish history, good and bad. Though I was referring to the pogroms across Europe. I was born in Romania(even though I grew up and lived most of my life in Ireland) and I do wonder how many people my age would know of this or would they care?

lmao the hitler fixed germany's economy myth

No one is talking about the chapter's title? 
Ch.14: Remembering Too Much
Ch.15: Remembering Way Too Much

Ch.16: Remembering Even More Than Too Much

Here's the thing: a good translation does not translate things word for word. That does make for strange sentences. A good translation conveys the meaning. For example translating a japanese idiom as is would be weird but finding an english equivalent would be good. Am I making any sense here?

I agree with this one. Though, since I'm not a native English speaker, I'm also fine with Japanese idiom. I don't mind either way as long as I can make sense of the meaning.

I've always been supremely annoyed by all the onee-sans and onii-chans in translations. I stand by my opinion that you can convey their meaning by translating them. (the craziest this got was when One Piece was starting out and the whole 'nakama' debacle).

I can't say I agree with this. Onii-chan, onii-san, onii-sama and aniki have different sense of distance in Japanese. To translate them would mean to remove the subtle meaning in them. Same goes for -kun, -san, -chan, -tan, -sama, and many other suffixes.

Might I say, right damn excellent story, this. A great find.

Honestly, I'm a little surprised that there's criticism over keeping the term "youkai" considering the word is even kept intact in officially translated media (case in point: Level 5's Yo-Kai Watch franchise. And as I recall, the early promotional ads for the first game even specifically made distinctions between Yo-Kai and standard ghosts/monsters, so....).

Spoiler

I like how you made an entire argument against xenophobia and predatory politics and then fit it into fear mongering tactics and then spun it to bash modern politicians. As if Hitler used well-used and well-versed public speaking practices to push genocide from the get go and not to reinvigorate the German economy. Just because someone is great at public speaking does not mean that they are "like Hitler".

I don't understand how a rom-com seinen manga detracted to /r/badhistory level high school essays. The xenophobia presented in the manga aren't clear enough to be generalized to xenophobic practices by Japan.

I used spoiler cause the reply is long

Spoiler

Also, to the polish girl... it is great that you know about your polish history, good and bad. Though I was referring to the pogroms across Europe. I was born in Romania(even though I grew up and lived most of my life in Ireland) and I do wonder how many people my age would know of this or would they care?

I bet mom is a trump supporter

I bet you're an idiot, bringing American politics into a fictional manga about youkai and Japanese society.

I bet mom is a trump supporter

you get what you get and i am just glad we get

First of all thanks for your reply, this has lots of good, well thought out stuff I can agree with. I have actually done some translating (not from japanese though) that's why I brought it up, since it bothers me. Your example of the nature of japanese folklore is good but all I'm saying is for someone like me who is not probably as well versed in the mythologies or backgrounds, it makes things a whole lot more confusing. Of course the translation here is done to a fansite where you can expect most readers will be fans and know these things, but I'd rather make it more approachable, in a way, by not assuming everyone does.

You seem to get a lot of disagreements, so I'm going to side with you here.

I agree. Not everyone knows knows Japanese terms and folklore. Even though the majority of the people here are (possibly) well-versed already, there bound to be some people who knows nothing about them. That's why translators (supposed to) bridge that gap. There is a reason why English-translated Japanese novels aren't filled with Japanese suffixes, terms, and whatnots.

While I don't mind translations with Japanese terms, sometimes they can get very lazy. Translators who uses those sometimes think they can get away with substituting everything in Japanese. Some people may like it, I personally think it's distracting. And of course, then there are also translations that is filled with terms and huge blocks of translator's notes. 

In this I agree with you entirely.  I can do that as fast as thinking between English and Spanish, a language I have spoken fluently for more than half my life.  But those two languages are relatively closely related, both linguistically and culturally, compared to the gulf in language and culture we have between East and West.  I could wish I understood Japanese as well as I do Spanish, but I doubt I will ever get there short of moving to Japan and getting totally immersed in the language as happened with me and Spanish living in Perú over thirty years ago.

Static Transit, on 10 Jun 2016 - 12:22 AM, said:

Why are they not translating stuff like "youkai" or "rokurokubi"? That kind of stuff really bugs in translations. Or is it their keikaku?

And don't gimme any of that "oh it can't be translated" bullcrap. She could very well be a long-necked girl and it would get the point across. 

I dunno, I just don't like leaving terms untranslated. It's lazy.

It would appear that your taste is in the minority, old bean. Most of us (including me) prefer precision and Japanese flavour over extra-complete Anglicization.  And come to think of it, most manga I've seen with youkai in them call them youkai, and every manga I've seen with a rokurokubi (surprisingly, a fair number) calls it a rokurokubi.
If you look around, though, there is the occasional manga translator who does like your approach; I've seen translations that don't even do honorifics.  I wish you luck finding them.  This one seems unlikely to change, though.

Why are they not translating stuff like "youkai" or "rokurokubi"? That kind of stuff really bugs in translations. Or is it their keikaku?

And don't gimme any of that "oh it can't be translated" bullcrap. She could very well be a long-necked girl and it would get the point across. 

Spoiler tagged because lots of text:

Spoiler

Why don't you try learning another language and culture, as most translators have to do in order to understand what is being said and why.  After you've done that, you are free to criticize the translators because you will understand the issues involved.  But you will more likely commiserate with them.

There are things that when translated to their nearest English equivalents sound flat out weird, and if you try to be exactly correct you wind up sounding long winded and pedantic.  This problem is not unique to translating Japanese to English.  You have the same problem going the other way, and you have similar problems with other language pairs.  Most English speakers are used to the relatively close relationship between English and other north-west European languages, but most Asian languages, especially in the south and east of Asia, have next to no relationship with English.  You have to use approximations, or you leave some words untranslated and explain it in the notes.  For example, virtually every professionally marketed translation from Japanese to English has a preface that as a minimum explains the role of honorifics in Japanese speech and culture so that those honorifics can be used, and the nuances contained therein may be preserved in the "translation."

Does this manga involve Hitler and a foot fetish? I'm really really confused by the comments, and the cover doesn't match the summary.

Nope, no hitler, no foot fetish.  The comments have devolved into Hitler because thats what they do when racism is brought up.

And I think the cover is like that because the author wanted to have his main character drawn like that.

That's because some words don't have an equivalent translation. Substituting the definition or a description of he word isn't appropriate either. It would be like having the word sensei (which has a variation of similar meanings) as "someone knowledgeable enough in their field to teach others" every single time it appeared. Simply replacing it with teacher isn't appropriate because those translations won't be accurate in all cases. Particularly since the use of Teacher in English has a narrower usage than the use of Sensei in Japanese.

English is filled with Loan words from other languages that are easier to learn a new word and it's definition rather than inventing a new word/writing the definition each time. other japanese loadwords include Haiku, Origami, Shamisen, and Kimono. There is simply no point in reinventing the wheel.

I beg to differ. Translating youkai to ghost or whatever would make it lose its Japan-specific meaning. That may be the correct choice for works that aren’t really using cultural references. This manga however is built around Japanese folklore. It’s really the same with Rokurokubi: Of course she’s a “long-necked girl”. But not just any—a Japanese one.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics