Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.7 - 164votes)

Hinomaru Zumou

Alt Names: alt 火之丸相扑alt 火ノ丸相撲alt Hinomaru Sumoalt Hinomaru Zumōalt Hinomaru-Zumoualt Sumo of the Rising Sunalt Sumo Wrestler Hinomarualt Сумо Хиномару
Author: Kawada
Artist: Kawada
Genres: Action ActionDrama DramaMartial Arts Martial ArtsSchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: It is a divine ritual, a martial art, a combat sport—it's sumo!!
A "small" new student, Ushio Hinomaru, appears before the weak little sumo club of Oodachi High School! The words "big" and "heavy" are the rules to this sport, which does not fit this newbie any inch, but this guy goes and does what...!?
Ushio and the small sumo club climbs its way to the top!
The goal is *Hinoshita Kaisan!
A fired up high school sumo tale—no retakes allowed!!

*Hinoshita Kaisan - A title for the highest rank in professional sumo, equivalent of Yokozuna.

From Mangahelpers
Go to Hinomaru Zumou Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Hinomaru Zumou (sumo sport) chapter discussion New Window truepurple
  • 3 Replies

603 Comments

Thanks to this manga, I never lack new screensaver, backgroundimagines or motivational posters. (http://vatoto.com/reader#87e0b991ac6c808b_17).

And Hinomaru loses, I am calling it now.

Tennouji isn't last boss. Kuze is. if Kuze had been competing all this time, maybe he would have beaten Tennouji at some point. And aren't there still more of those sword-named wrestlers to meet from different areas? Idr tho haha;;

God those tree-trunk thighs on Tennouji...

although for that reason Hinomaru looks oddly proportioned, like he's bigger in some panels than he should be, but artistic integrity and whatnot "it's his spirit manifest" etc.

Well, they never skip leg day.

God those tree-trunk thighs on Tennouji...

although for that reason Hinomaru looks oddly proportioned, like he's bigger in some panels than he should be, but artistic integrity and whatnot "it's his spirit manifest" etc.

New Vol, picture? Looks nice.

but don't you think it's a little too soon to be beating Tenouji. this is his first fight that we get to see properly and after a declaration like his and all the hype that hes built up I can't see Tenouji losing so soon (story telling wise)

Tennouji seems more like a side chararter at this point. He got introduced suddenly with all this backstory. Like he wasn't built up slowly it was all like 'oh right there's this strong guy that we haven't been talking about, here's all this stuff about him'. It feels like he was put into the story as a hurdle for Hinomaru to jump over. On the other hand Kuze Sousuke and Sada Mizuki is far more of a danger to Hinomaru since they've been built up over time as rivals and rivals are more dangerous than hurdles. Sure Hinomaru has already beaten Sada but Sada may just chase after him since their match was close and ended in injury, and Kuze is another rival that also doesn't underestimate Hinomaru that has been around for a while now who is also crazy strong and is highly likely to be just as strong if not stronger than Tennouji.

Sorry, Ten might be all mighty in sumo, but can't stop smirking at his hillbilly accent (trans. from Osaka dialect, I know) and his lack of eyebrows. Can't stop imagining him plucking his eyebrow hairs every morning or getting them waxed every now and then.

Tennouji seems like the perfect example of a fighter, who's only real weakness is not having lost yet.

Spoiler

Tennouji seems like the perfect example of a fighter, who's only real weakness is not having lost yet.

At this point Hinomaru shouldn't lose. If he does then this manga becomes annoying. Basically if he loses then all the training with a former Yokozuna and all that goes down the drain, 'what was the point' type situation. Then we end up with a situation where the MC doesn't know what to do anymore since even a former Yokozuna couldn't help him win, but worry not because friendship will save the day. Bullshit. The manga's called 'Hinomaru Zumou' not 'Himomaru and friends have a fun time doing sumo and win with the power of friendship'. I mean there are ways for Hinomaru to encounter trouble even if he win's against the strongest. Maybe his opponent wasn't the strongest after all, maybe Hinomaru runs low on energy/gets injured again. It's not like the story will end if he wins now.

but don't you think it's a little too soon to be beating Tenouji. this is his first fight that we get to see properly and after a declaration like his and all the hype that hes built up I can't see Tenouji losing so soon (story telling wise)

At this point Hinomaru shouldn't lose. If he does then this manga becomes annoying. Basically if he loses then all the training with a former Yokozuna and all that goes down the drain, 'what was the point' type situation. Then we end up with a situation where the MC doesn't know what to do anymore since even a former Yokozuna couldn't help him win, but worry not because friendship will save the day. Bullshit. The manga's called 'Hinomaru Zumou' not 'Himomaru and friends have a fun time doing sumo and win with the power of friendship'. I mean there are ways for Hinomaru to encounter trouble even if he win's against the strongest. Maybe his opponent wasn't the strongest after all, maybe Hinomaru runs low on energy/gets injured again. It's not like the story will end if he wins now.

Tbh, the fact he is fighting Tennouji so soon makes me think the opposite that this won't be finishing soon. Kawada has shown that he's not afraid to make his characters lose. So if he loses here, I'm sure there will be another way to start over and build up again after fighting all the rivals. If he loses here, there's still the chance to fight Tennouji again in the team rounds and the All Japan which could easily take up a tonne of chapters considering how many established characters will be fighting in the team rounds. Plus they've still got to show the rest of the individual matches and there's that Juzumaru guy that was randomly shown on the tournament sheet (may or may not be relevant in the future).

maybe they stop when Hinomaru reaches the top at high school an then do a sequel in the world of pros  (?) XD

So what format does this tournament have? If he loses here, then it's over? Or there's a losers bracket of some kind?

Its the end (exactly what happened in the rookie tournament) but it is very likely that the winners of the Teams tournament have a ticket, and that is the one that will fight .

They talk a lot of yokozuna high school, but being logical, more competitors are needed for a tournament that offers the amateur circuit the opportunity to be professional, assuming that is only between Yokozuna, there would be only three competitors: high school, college and private companies.

Thinking about this, maybe there is some other way to go to the All Japan: public vote, recommendation of the judges , being part of the top 32

So what format does this tournament have? If he loses here, then it's over? Or there's a losers bracket of some kind?

So is the manga ending soon?

it seems, still no official announcement, but the rapid development of events, seems to confirm this

It's only natural, that a sumomanga has a (seemingly) faster pace than others. Sumo matches are over very quickly, whereas most other sports either have a fixed timelimit or can easily last for multiple minutes.

So the manga feeling fast is actually just a representation of how sumo is.

The pace of any activity has no equivalent 1: 1 when it comes to manga, there are stories of gambling that take place in one night and literally take 20 volumes.

But let's say that fidelity to the discipline is the reason why the fights (which I appreciate ) do not last 20 chapters , that does not explain why the development of the plot is so accelerated , tournaments , allies, opponents , training, stories background and even a small dose of romance , this manga shown in 90 chapters what others take 400 .

So is the manga ending soon?

Sadly when you check sales of Hinomaru Zumou you will see how low they are. I mean, less than 50k?! This is rock bottom for WSJ manga. It's rankings are high but money is money so let's be prepared for an axe :/

I bet it's because buying manga with nekkid males with fundoshi on the front cover is a pretty high hurdle.

Sadly when you check sales of Hinomaru Zumou you will see how low they are. I mean, less than 50k?! This is rock bottom for WSJ manga. It's rankings are high but money is money so let's be prepared for an axe :/

It's only natural, that a sumomanga has a (seemingly) faster pace than others. Sumo matches are over very quickly, whereas most other sports either have a fixed timelimit or can easily last for multiple minutes.

So the manga feeling fast is actually just a representation of how sumo is.

so unless mangaka has ushio winning, this manga will end soon-ish?

Go into sophomore year.

I see a few people talking about how this manga seems to be moving quickly towards an end.

In retrospective from begining everystep was fast, like, F1 Fast: First rival in chapter 3, First Tournament in Five, Team completed in 15, second Torunament and first Deafeat 30, this manga have every single step of a traditional sport manga (including secrest techniches and super coaches) in fast track, before someone say its very popular in Jump, so i only can speculate of the reasons of this fast pace: its a debut work? the editorial had fear sumo/martail Arts are no popular in this moment? If thats the case i hope this will be reworked in a more (not much) slow and long story.

But is it really?

Realy, comparing with every other sport manga or the rest of the "normal" series in the jump that was fast.

I mean right now they're fighting at a high school level and yes if he wins this tourney he can fight in the All-Japan one but when they explained it they mentioned that high schoolers also fight in the All-Japan.

And the Miss reporter plot device cut that refering how tenjous is the champion of that torunament and Infering how the Current Youkozuna fear of Tenjou is by default de final Boss.

Anyway Hinomaru's ultimate goal is to become a pro Yokozuna which is a long way off.

Not that long, winning the tournament he skips 3 ranks, and again: with the Super exagerated strengh of Kuze and Tenjou, there is really not much rivals.

Since there's a ultimate goal the manga won't go on forever

The Goal never its a indicative of the duration of the series: Eyeshield 21 was based in the premise of that one last Year (the christmas Bowl) more than 300 chapters and only beacause the populary gone down and the series get axed just wehn the mangaka was ready to continue Captain tusbas Style and go for the worldcup, Ace Of diamonds dont have the end near and the Koshien was always the goal.

Hopefully it won't be super long like Hajime no Ippo because it's just too long

Ippo its the most extreme Case, but the pacing always was there: there no was amateur boxing in highscool, go to pro inmediatly an then had his sweet time with every rival, training and the ocassional mischief.

Exactly what Yotanwa wrote. Why are people assuming that this is high school sports manga? This is only a beginning.

Because when a sport manga its a life chronichle, they got every moment of the protagonist amateur/profesional Life (ie: Major, Captain Tsubas, Capeta), when the goal is from the begining be professional, usualy the high scchool life its a anecdote (Hajime No ippo)the story in hinomaru is fast but not a anecdote: The pain, the fight, the friendship, every elemnt of a classic sport saga its here, but in speed X10.

This conclusion its not only based in the tournaments, when a stable master and a Former yokozuna want to help Hinomaru with only watch him fight, when every of the "National treasures" are so ar of the professional wrestlers, all of this scrream: If he can be pro, he will be Yokozuna.

Onimaru vs The Strongest 

so unless mangaka has ushio winning, this manga will end soon-ish?

Onimaru vs The Strongest 

haha how cute - Yuuma's sister is now completely invested in Hinomaru's story too <'D

also what's this talk of an ending? i don't feel that at all.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics