Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.52 - 90votes)

Tohai Densetsu Akagi

Alt Names: alt Akagialt Akagi - The Genius who Fell into the Darknessalt Akagi - Yami ni Oritatta Tensaialt Akagi~Yami ni Oritatte Tensai~alt アカギalt アカギ ~闇に降り立った天才~alt 鬥牌傳說alt 闘牌伝説アカギ 闇に舞い降りた天才alt Legend of Mahjong: Akagialt Mahjong Legend Akagialt Mahjong Legend Akagi: The Genius Who Descended Into the Darkness
Author: Fukumoto Nobuyuki
Artist: Fukumoto Nobuyuki
Genres: Drama DramaPsychological PsychologicalSeinen SeinenSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: A genius who fell into darkness. The god of the underworld.

Akagi Shigeru runs from a Chicken race where he almost died to a Mahjong parlor, where a man is losing all his money to the Yakuza. Akagi, who is only 13, tells him that he plays it wrong, although he has never played the game before. Akagi then replaces him in the game, and there a legend is born.

When the police come to check in on the parlor to see if the child that ran from the Chicken race is there, they deny the relation of Akagi to the chicken fight. In the end the policeman invites Akagi to a much more organized Mahjong game and from there the legends only continue to develop.

Spin-Off:

- Washizu -Enma no Touhai- (http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/washizu-enma-no-touhai-r4536)
Go to Tohai Densetsu Akagi Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic Missing chapters? where they go? T.T New Window Zonambulous
  • 3 Replies

260 Comments

For some reason I feel like Akagi's going to draw the 1man for chanta on his next turn.

If he gets last tile ron its mangan anyway so might as well make sure he's well deaded with a big old floppy haneman.

I don't see a way for Akagi to get a Haneman, aside from a theoretical possibility of him discarding the 9-pin, Washizu declaring a Kan, and giving Akagi tons of doras. Nah, not happening.
Suzuki has the last Xia in his discards, so no flashy Kan plays from Akagi himself either. Houtei-Xia-Hatsu-Chanta-Dora 1 is still only a 5-han Mangan hand, so it doesn't really matter if he gets the 1-man or not. Not to mention, a Haneman would kill Washizu. We can't have the 18-year-long match end so soon, now, can we? :) Washizu losing 800ccs from a mangan would bring him to 1900. This being a manga, we can definitely expect the geezer to survive for another round - after a few chapters of his near-death-experience, that is.

Spoiler

Spoiler

For some reason I feel like Akagi's going to draw the 1man for chanta on his next turn.

If he gets last tile ron its mangan anyway so might as well make sure he's well deaded with a big old floppy haneman.

Spoiler

Spoiler

This should all be incredibly easy for Washizu, all he needs to do is look at Ohugi with his zero poker face and everything becomes trivial then.

Spoiler

For god sake, just ron it already.

KinMa does publish every 2 weeks, but Akagi is only published in the issue released on the first of every month, and AFAIK that's the way it's always been. Its publishing schedule is very consistent!

This is correct. Kindai Mahjong used to be released monthly, until it changed to semimonthly in the new millennium. Akagi is one of the few series from that period in Kindai Mahjong's history that's still being published.
To balance it out, the other month's issue (released on the 15th) contains Usagi, another series originally published during the mag's monthly period (though in a separate monthly, Kindai Mahjong Original). It's also been joined by Hero in recent years.

KinMa does publish every 2 weeks, but Akagi is only published in the issue released on the first of every month, and AFAIK that's the way it's always been. Its publishing schedule is very consistent!

Damn I've read this arc for so long i cant even remember how long its started.

This arc started in 1997, so this match has been going on for more or less 18 years.
Though it's not the only manga he writes, and Kindai Mahjong is released once every two weeks (but iirc there's only one akagi chapter every 2 months or so, sometimes he even skips it).
But yeah honestly I don't expect this to be over until a few more years.

Not yet translated. Most of the chapters before 109 have been of a lower translation priority because they are covered by the highly enjoyable anime of the same name.

Thanks for the answer. Guess I'll have to watch that then.

Damn I've read this arc for so long i cant even remember how long its started.

What happened to chapters 85-90? And for that matter, 73-81?

Not yet translated. Most of the chapters before 109 have been of a lower translation priority because they are covered by the highly enjoyable anime of the same name.

What happened to chapters 85-90? And for that matter, 73-81?

Thanks for the double release!

Nobody gets off Mr. Washizu's wild ride.

You couldn't pry me off it even if you wanted to! :)

Fuck, for some reason I'm not suprised anymore, Jesus lord please get me off this ride soon please.

Nobody gets off Mr. Washizu's wild ride.

If you think it's bad now...

Spoiler

Fuck, for some reason I'm not suprised anymore, Jesus lord please get me off this ride soon please.

If you think it's bad now...
Spoiler

I started reading this and just got to chapter 110 and I started wondering how much more slavering and blood obsession there was going to be and had a quick peek ahead...

The south 3rd round of the 6th hanchan has been going on for 18 chapters at this point and it's not even done. It's spanned 3 volumes so far.

There's no getting off of Mr Bone's wild game of Mahjong.

Is that some kind of joke? 

This game doesn't end. They will play... forever.

I started reading this and just got to chapter 110 and I started wondering how much more slavering and blood obsession there was going to be and had a quick peek ahead...

doesn't washizu's teeth hurt? He's been clenching them for who knows how long

What????

Washizu was in chiitoitsu tenpai, and North even was a safe tile, why didn't he take tenpai?

If anyone wants to play Washizu mahjong, it looks like someone typed up the rules here:

http://mahjong.wikidot.com/rules:washizu-mahjong-gameplay

It says that blood "is commonly used as a wager," which makes me think that there must be some really hardcore Akagi fans out there.

Ougi is like an amulet for the contrary to happen.

Washizu isn't a gambler. All he's doing is throwing down tiles while luck draws his tiles for him.

while that last chapter seems contrived (223) you'd be surprised how often that seems to happen in real mahjong. But seriously, washizu is so bad at mahjong that he should not even be considered a gambler. 

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics