Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.74 - 233votes)

Houseki no Kuni

Alt Names: alt 宝石の国alt Country of Jewelsalt 보석의 나라alt Il Regno delle Gemmealt Kingdom of Gemsalt L'ère des Cristauxalt Land of the Lustrousalt Mücevher Ülkesialt Reino de Gemasalt Страна самоцветов
Author: Ichikawa Haruko
Artist: Ichikawa Haruko
Genres: Drama DramaFantasy FantasyMystery MysterySeinen Seinen
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: In the distant future, a new life form called Houseki (gems) are born. The 28 Houseki must fight against the moon dwellers who want to attack them and turn them into decorations, thus each gem is assigned a role such as a fighter or a medic. Though they hope to fight the moon dwellers, Phos is a gem who is given no assignment until the gems' master Adamantine asks them to write an encyclopedia.
Go to Houseki no Kuni Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic how far in the manga did the anime reach New Window neorasp
  • 2 Replies
Topic Official Voice Cast for the Anime! New Window Redpandagirl
  • 2 Replies

493 Comments

Chapter is now working fine, thank you!

Am I the only one that only has CKN UK displaying when trying to watch the latest chapter?

Belkrax is having some issues with the file name but it should be up soon!

Am I the only one that only has CKN UK displaying when trying to watch the latest chapter?

This is probably the last chapter Ill do since now actual translators are interested in picking the series. Unless releases become slow again, then you cant get rid of me, im too anxious about rocks.

I really hope this series will have a good ending...

Spoiler

I foresee Aechmea's betrayal and Phos rallying the flesh to help them flee.  I'm worried, though, about how many gems will be lost as a result of this decision.  I'll never forgive Phos if Dia and Yellow becomes the next casualties

I'm not sure about Aechmea betrayal, but I'm sure Cinnabar will get in Phos way.

I GOT JEBAITED SO FUCKING HARD. I THOUGHT IT WAS A REAL CHAPTER

I foresee Aechmea's betrayal and Phos rallying the flesh to help them flee.  I'm worried, though, about how many gems will be lost as a result of this decision.  I'll never forgive Phos if Dia and Yellow becomes the next casualties

Don't worry, Phos won't ever forgive for herself if it happened (remember when antarticite was kidnapped?). Maybe he will commit suicide if that happened by charging all of moon people until she perish.

!

Just had a theory last night after brainstorming for so long how to get a happy ending for everyone (Lunarians, Gems, etc.). This series is so good and have me on the edge!

First, let us look at these facts:
1. Moon people wants Sensei to work. Sensei cannot function properly due to aging(?) problem. Sensei
2. Sensei is created for humans. Sensei doesn't have 100% hostility towards moon people(see Shiro, probably because it was done "naturally") but doesn't do as what they want as he acts behind his own feelings(?).
3. Moon people does research on how to create human fetus (as well as synthetic gems but that's not really working as we know).
4. Phos is the epitome of amalgamation and can adapt to new materials really easily. An important to note after reviewing the second episode: Phos' first change was NOT when he got his new legs, but rather when he was gobbled up by King and learned how to "speak Flesh"! The change wasn't noticeable physically, but yet it was where it all began (see foreshadowing at the first half of the episode when Diamond suggested him to "change"). Conclusion: Phos can be changed by "Flesh".
5. Phos gained Lapis' calculating, selfish personality, which was referred from King as something "selfish" that humans once retained that Moon people had. I think that we can assume that when Phos lost his "innocence" and gained a darker personality, he gained the egoistical nature of the moon people/past humans (albeit indirectly), which made him lost sight for his comrades (just like Moon People who are described as selfish). He also got the pearl eye if that also counts. Conclusion: Phos gained part of "Soul".
6. Having mutated so many times, yet surviving each time. There is a possibly of Phos can agree to the Moon People's experiment to gain part of the "flesh" if his attempt to betray Sensei ever fail as a backup plan. It is not a stretch, as Phos already have part of the flesh(swallowed by King---thus could communicate) and the soul (darker personnality---and also willing to communicate with the Moon People unlike other gems). He doesn't lack any requirements anymore. Phos' most redeeming and never-changing nature was his persistence, even if everybody didn't give a crap about him(see the beginning of the series). There is plenty evidence in the series that the most "random" and subtle element are always to be used as "foreshadowing". (remember when Dia suggested Phos to change? it was so subtle yet it was it that started it all...)
7. Phos becoming "human(?)" → Sensei does his job → Everyone is happy... Except that Phos will die because he is no longer immortal. It will also explain the design of the uniforms are to be mourning clothes. (Interview with author here: https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/10/31/land-of-the-lustrous-director-takahiko-kyougoku-interview/)I think that the costume was intended to be used as a foreshadowing to Phos' death, where he will lay where the series started, on the flowing patch of grass, surrounded by everyone. Phos will be happy that he can finally apologize to what he did to Antarticite. A befitting beautiful yet melancholic ending.

All in all... Phos will also have accomplished the biggest "job" ever, saving everyone from future abductions. Except I still don't know how Cinnabar will fit in the picture, yet.

Epilogue would probably be lighthearted with the new generation.

That ending would be beautiful I guess... But I think the hardest part isttransforming Phos to become the first human ever, in a sense that we can broadly accept logically. Injecting flesh to phos body is too 'illogical' I guess, since gem works by having inclusions in their body, while flesh require blood and food. But let’s see how's it going...

!

Just had a theory last night after brainstorming for so long how to get a happy ending for everyone (Lunarians, Gems, etc.). This series is so good and have me on the edge!

First, let us look at these facts:

1. Moon people wants Sensei to work. Sensei cannot function properly due to aging(?) problem. Sensei

2. Sensei is created for humans. Sensei doesn't have 100% hostility towards moon people(see Shiro, probably because it was done "naturally") but doesn't do as what they want as he acts behind his own feelings(?).

3. Moon people does research on how to create human fetus (as well as synthetic gems but that's not really working as we know).

4. Phos is the epitome of amalgamation and can adapt to new materials really easily. An important to note after reviewing the second episode: Phos' first change was NOT when he got his new legs, but rather when he was gobbled up by King and learned how to "speak Flesh"! The change wasn't noticeable physically, but yet it was where it all began (see foreshadowing at the first half of the episode when Diamond suggested him to "change"). Conclusion: Phos can be changed by "Flesh".

5. Phos gained Lapis' calculating, selfish personality, which was referred from King as something "selfish" that humans once retained that Moon people had. I think that we can assume that when Phos lost his "innocence" and gained a darker personality, he gained the egoistical nature of the moon people/past humans (albeit indirectly), which made him lost sight for his comrades (just like Moon People who are described as selfish). He also got the pearl eye if that also counts. Conclusion: Phos gained part of "Soul".

6. Having mutated so many times, yet surviving each time. There is a possibly of Phos can agree to the Moon People's experiment to gain part of the "flesh" if his attempt to betray Sensei ever fail as a backup plan. It is not a stretch, as Phos already have part of the flesh(swallowed by King---thus could communicate) and the soul (darker personnality---and also willing to communicate with the Moon People unlike other gems). He doesn't lack any requirements anymore. Phos' most redeeming and never-changing nature was his persistence, even if everybody didn't give a crap about him(see the beginning of the series). There is plenty evidence in the series that the most "random" and subtle element are always to be used as "foreshadowing". (remember when Dia suggested Phos to change? it was so subtle yet it was it that started it all...)

7. Phos becoming "human(?)" → Sensei does his job → Everyone is happy... Except that Phos will die because he is no longer immortal. It will also explain the design of the uniforms are to be mourning clothes. (Interview with author here: https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/10/31/land-of-the-lustrous-director-takahiko-kyougoku-interview/)I think that the costume was intended to be used as a foreshadowing to Phos' death, where he will lay where the series started, on the flowing patch of grass, surrounded by everyone. Phos will be happy that he can finally apologize to what he did to Antarticite. A befitting beautiful yet melancholic ending.

All in all... Phos will also have accomplished the biggest "job" ever, saving everyone from future abductions. Except I still don't know how Cinnabar will fit in the picture, yet.

Epilogue would probably be lighthearted with the new generation.

You need to read again friend. Phos agate legs are made of the shell of one the admirabilis, when the slugs eat sand and other rocks it goes in a process on their bodys to strenght their shells turning particularly in agate, as not all of the minerals have the inclusions that give them their consciousness his leg arent from another gem.

Admirabilis on the moon grow huge and stupid from consuming the "sweet water and sand" of the moon. If the sand on the surface of much of the moon is assumed to be ground up gems, then unless the lunarians herd them around to eat only the native soil, there is a good chance that ground up gems make up some portion of those giant shells.

I just realized how messed up it is for Phos to have those Agate legs: They were very likely made from an abducted gem. Phos is basically a frankestein monster by now pretty much.

You need to read again friend. Phos agate legs are made of the shell of one the admirabilis, when the slugs eat sand and other rocks it goes in a process on their bodys to strenght their shells turning particularly in agate, as not all of the minerals have the inclusions that give them their consciousness his leg arent from another gem.

I just realized how messed up it is for Phos to have those Agate legs: They were very likely made from an abducted gem. Phos is basically a frankestein monster by now pretty much.

NEXT PLEASE. I WANT IT SO BAD.

Sensei cares but like all good robots he follows orders. This series will only be resolved when either the mooninites are wiped out by other means or a human comes along to order sensei to do his job. Otherwise sensei is stuck in a terrible place where his gems are abducted and by order of humankind he is to do nothing to try and permanently stop the abductors.

Maybe Phos constant change will trigger them becoming the first human. 

I wouldn't put any money on Kongou not caring, but we do need to keep in mind that he may have been dancing this dance for tens of thousands of years by now; i would not be surprised if this isn't the first time that something like this has happened (i.e. a large portion or even all of the gems getting taken in one fell swoop.) Regardless of whether they get ground to dust or not, I think Kongou will mourn their loss but continue on the same path, and the onus for changing the status quo will still rest on Phos's unstable shoulders. 

Sensei cares but like all good robots he follows orders. This series will only be resolved when either the mooninites are wiped out by other means or a human comes along to order sensei to do his job. Otherwise sensei is stuck in a terrible place where his gems are abducted and by order of humankind he is to do nothing to try and permanently stop the abductors.

Prediction :

>Sensei doesn't give a fuck

>Moon people revert to long term plan (grinding)

>Hilarity ensues

I wouldn't put any money on Kongou not caring, but we do need to keep in mind that he may have been dancing this dance for tens of thousands of years by now; i would not be surprised if this isn't the first time that something like this has happened (i.e. a large portion or even all of the gems getting taken in one fell swoop.) Regardless of whether they get ground to dust or not, I think Kongou will mourn their loss but continue on the same path, and the onus for changing the status quo will still rest on Phos's unstable shoulders. 

Prediction :

>Sensei doesn't give a fuck

>Moon people revert to long term plan (grinding)

>Hilarity ensues

I'm ~90% sure that this is all going to end badly. 

The amount of foreshadowing this chapter had has the word tragedy all over it, ahhhhhhh.... Prediction: If the gems taken there are ever going to die/grinded to sand Phos would take the blame and will be exiled from the school (Land of the Lustrous). Phos became quite calculative but havent managed to understand that the others' heart are not as strong as his and cannot adapt/change as himself so easily. Prolly a discord will happen at the moon or something... Icannot see anyone but Caingorm and Phos surviving this, the others have flags all over them... Caingorm will probably out Phos as the traitor back home.

After watching episode 3 of the anime, that one frame of Dia making the bed before they leave is going to feel excessively cruel if this goes badly. This story gives new meaning to the trope "break the cutie." 

your use of -sensei and -san together has me shook

I treat sensei as a name here rather than as a suffix... XD

Seeing the complicated development... I wonder if Phos is able to shake Sensei-san, or Phos will get shaken by the result of her effort (n Sensei-san knew what she wanted to do n let her did it). Dang, my 'plot twist' sense is tingling...

your use of -sensei and -san together has me shook

Ugh... this just screams "tragic miscalculation," because if there is one thing consistent about Phos, it's that Phos can consistently screw up anything. I hope i'm wrong, because most of the gems going are the ones who have something to be unhappy about, and have thus gotten enough characterization to be sympathetic. If this goes south, Phos's last breakdown is going to be nothing compared to what happens next. :(

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics