Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.58 - 107votes)

Amanchu!

Alt Names: alt Amanchualt あまんちゅ!alt 藍海少女alt 海之少女
Author: Amano Kozue
Artist: Amano Kozue
Genres: Comedy ComedySchool Life School LifeShounen ShounenSlice of Life Slice of LifeSports Sports
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Hikari Kohinata is a cheerful 15 year-old girl who lives near the ocean and she spends much of her time diving as a result. On her first day of high school, she meets a teacher who also likes scuba diving. There's also a 16 year-old classmate, Futaba, who gets dragged along in Hikari's maelstrom as soon as they meet at school.
Go to Amanchu! Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

165 Comments

Spoiler

Not sure if anyone else cares, but I'd like it if the scanlators didn't do... whatever this is called. The calligraphy is also part of the art, you know.

It's hard to find the silver lining for that kind of thing :\

Some people likes it translated and replaced and some people doesn't. If it really bothers you, much apologies.

#preference is a devil

Spoiler

Not sure if anyone else cares, but I'd like it if the scanlators didn't do... whatever this is called. The calligraphy is also part of the art, you know.

Does anybody here miss the scuba diving?

I have Amano Kozue and Amanchu to thank once I finally get that diver's coaching license and dig myself out of depression. I get that it's winter now and the Western Pacific is a giant b!tch up north, but I really could use some Dotty getting her mind blown for the millionth time and Pikari being Pikari.

behind, latest  uploaded chapter on senmanga is 62nd - and it was uploaded 5 months ago, so there's probably more in jp

The latest is 65. The manga is released in the official Mag Garden site: http://comic.mag-garden.co.jp/amanchu/

ah, nothing like a nice relaxing manga. Looking forward to more. does anyone know if the translations are behind or up to date?

behind, latest  uploaded chapter on senmanga is 62nd - and it was uploaded 5 months ago, so there's probably more in jp

Spoiler

Man Amano just upped her game! Also Chapter 47 is a quintessential Amano chapter. Reflective, healing, and fun. A great set up for volume 9!

Also thanks cafe scans!

good for you guys for having an opinion and able to express it.

But then again you're just shouting into the oblivion that is the internet. There's no need to explain with long paragraphs why it's good or it's bad. People will disagree nonetheless, enjoy what you like, and leave behind what you dislike.

ah, nothing like a nice relaxing manga. Looking forward to more. does anyone know if the translations are behind or up to date?

...don't complain when others compliment works that have complex characters and more literary depth and dimension than you enjoy...

Are we speaking about Amanchu! here? if you consider that "literary depth" you might have a brain problem.

I don't give half a shit that LOTR doesn't include romance or what Tolkien does with the protagonist or with the 6 of them, it's a poor book that pales in front of real literature. Also, I don't care about the D&D mythology it created: the book is poorly written, the characters are flat and their developement forced (specially the hobbits). The story moves from asspull to asspull and, on top of that, the autor uses this very enerving (and common) trope in fantasy books that is "strolling the characters from side to side of the map, to see what happens".

The passages with characters completelly unrelated to the action (ex, Tom Bombadil) just break the pace of the book, and the huge quantity of battle (the whole second book and half the third) bored me to dead.

Saying that something is shit because you are unable to enjoy it doesn't make you a snob, it merely demonstrates a lack of maturity.

I supose the best way to prevent critics nowadays is the much used relativism. Well, boy, when an autor exposes its work he always faces criticism, and is the only way for him to improve. If I find these books or Amanchu are shit I can very well express my opinion without becoming a snob or demostrating lack of maturity, deal with it and go down your high horse.

"...even the hobbit, a tale for children, is much better written. If you want to give a try to well written fantasy I'd start with Ende."

I think I'm starting to see the picture here.  What appeals seems to be well-written from the perspective of mechanics but literarily shallow.  Older YA stories like these (written before YA was a thing), in particular those written outside the U.S., are often of a higher reading level than stories targeting the same demographic in the modern U.S., so I can see why they might seem refreshing.  But the characters are very one-dimensional with little in the way of real growth or development, and certainly no depth.  If that's what you're into, so be it; read and enjoy them to your fullest.  I certainly enjoy a nice easy read like that once every couple of years.  But, please, don't complain when others compliment works that have complex characters and more literary depth and dimension than you enjoy.  Saying that something is shit because you are unable to enjoy it doesn't make you a snob, it merely demonstrates a lack of maturity.

As far as LOTR, there's lots that could be said.  It doesn't follow any of the modern conventions of story writing--doesn't include romance, Tolkien ignores the main protagonist for an entire book (if you count them as six), etc.--but it's still an impressive work.  It was just written for a different time when people had more patience to sit and read.  Also, I had a friend who once complained that he couldn't get into it because it just seemed to be a collection of all of the D&D tropes that he was accustomed to seeing--sneaky Halflings, battle with orcs, antagonism between dwarves and elves--all of which originated with Tolkien, but if you don't keep that in mind, then it can seem like a rather derivative work.

Chapter 45 = classic Amano Kozue for me.

Thanks for the release! :)

Ha Hoy!
New chapters!
I have waited so long for this day!!!
Thanks uploader!

To like this type of series, it feels like to me that you need to be the type of person that likes to slow down once in

a while and stuff. If you like to take a cup of coffee and just look out the window not thinking anything, or going to a park just to chill out,

or stuff like that then great, you're propably gonna like this. If not, then this likely isn't your type of thing.

Or I might be wrong. I like both Aria and this anyways.

I'm enjoying Amanchu even though not as much as Aria, but yeah I dont want to bother to discussing about it. Even I know Aria might be boring for some people, so nothing new here.
@brahmaputrastt: read before answering, you don't address a single point of what I state. Also, so much racionalizing must hurt your head. @purple library guy: i can be a snob, but your tastes are shit. Both harry potter and LOTR suck hard (not even trolling here) even the hobbit, a tale for children, is much better written. If you want to give a try to well written fantasy I'd start with Ende.

P.S. Harry Potter was shit, if you say Casual Vacancy is even worse I'll stay far from it, thanks.

Ah, the hipster inverse of fanboyism.  If something popular is not the greatest work of literature in history that its fans claim, it must be shit.

Admittedly, many really popular things are shit.  Twilight is shit.  Fifty Shades is putrescent, plague-carrying shit.  I haven't read it, but by all accounts even aside from being a basic threat to decency and civilization Atlas Shrugged is incredibly pure, rancid shit.

Some really popular things are popular because they are truly excellent.  J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" trilogy was one of the greatest written works of the twentieth century.

And Harry Potter . . . is really pretty decent overall.  It's not worth the hype, but it has a number of strengths.  People who dismiss it out of hand are for the most part not evaluating it on its merits, they're just being snobs.

This series is boring, and the feels forced.

This series is relaxing, and it doesn't feel forced at all.

There.  Now we've both made categorical, unprovable statements about matters of taste.

Thank goodness. ( ˃̣̣̥᷄﹏˂̣̣̥᷅ )

When I saw page 24, I was afraid we were about to get a visit from Seo Kouji's favorite recurring character. Then page 25 suddenly jumped to someone else, and the story stayed there for two more pages. Hurray for page 28. ⁽⁽٩(๑˃̶͈̀ ᗨ ˂̶͈́)۶⁾⁾

Okay, you can go back to your regularly scheduled name-calling now. 

... I don't even know where to begin. Again, you are free to dislike the series. Whatever. I just don't like how you came with the wrong expectation coming into the series, and deemed it "boring and feel forced". Amanchu is a good series in a lot of aspects. Whether it's enjoyable or not is up to the individuals readers, as everything.

Pikari is basically retarded (at least it looks like it when using the whistle all around the town) and it's character is completely flat, there is nothing there apart from being the weird "healer" you speak about.

Iyashikei, is known in english as healing. it's a genre of manga which is characterized as having a healing or soothing effect on the audience. Works of this kind often involve alternative realities with little to no conflict, emphasizing nature and the little delights in life. (Taken from the tvtropes page). Amanchu and Aria both falls into the genre. Therefore the "healer" is the character who is able to see the silver linings and bring optimism and warmth to the story, i.e Akari and Pikari.

Look at how Pikari gives Dotty self confidence. Look at how Pikari is always enjoying life. Look at how other characters can have their own flaw and have a bout with Pikari, and comes out more contentious.

And how is whistling around retarded? She has stated from the first part of the story that she is hyper. Have you seen hyperactive kids? They need to do something. All the time aside from when they're sleeping. They fidget, their hands can't stop playing with something, and using a whistle can be a way to let it out.

Plus FYI, divers carries whistles with them for emergency. A whistle can be heard over greater distances. You can also blow a whistle for much longer the you can call for help.

-Dotty is not just shy: if you want to judge her by normal standards she has serious psychological problems. Take for example the last chapter: "Oh, my sempai called me on Saturday, it must be because I did something wrong and I must be punished, I'm sure it is my fault"

Again, are you serious? How is having social anxiety a "serious psychological problem"? How is people thinking about the worse outcome a "serious psychological problem"? I know if my friend suddenly text me in the morning to come and see them, I'll think about why during the trip there. Is he preparing a surprise? Am I going to get a present? Did he do something wrong and needs me? Is he just looking for some friend to accompany him?

Oh god, it seems I have "a serious psychological problem". Wait not only me, the rest of humanity does.

-The brothers are even more flat and uninteresting than Pikary and Dotty to the point I don't remember their names, just that the girl kicks randomly the brother (high literature right here).

Wow. So now banter between siblings is considered "low literature" (whatever it means). I kick and punch around with my siblings. What's so weird about that? I wouldn't argue that more can be explored out of them, but for heaven's sake the manga is still ongoing, and only 43 chapters at that.

-Also, as you say in Aria they don't tell you how to row, but you know why? because no one cares about it, the same way that I don't care about the +20 pages the manga uses to explain how stressing is to remove and put a mask. If Aria did explain all these details instead of expending time building the characters/story/setting it would become as boring as Amanchu.

OK this is the worst offender. AMANCHU IS A MANGA ABOUT DIVING. OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO EXPLAIN WHAT DIVING IS ABOUT. OF COURSE IT'S GOING TO TELL YOU WHAT PROBLEMS AND THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT DIVING. Aria is not a manga about rowing gondolas; Amanchu is a manga about diving. So as I said Aria and Amanchu are two fundamentally different series.

What are you expecting, really? You came in with the wrong expectation, and deem a series boring and uninteresting because it didn't measure up to your wrong expectation.

-P.S. Harry Potter was shit, if you say Casual Vacancy is even worse I'll stay far from it, thanks.

Whoever said it was a good series? I was merely using it because it's a convenient point of contrast for me to use in my argument.

@brahmaputrastt

This series is boring, and the feels forced.

-Pikari is basically retarded (at least it looks like it when using the whistle all around the town) and it's character is completely flat, there is nothing there apart from being the weird "healer" you speak about.

-Dotty is not just shy: if you want to judge her by normal standards she has serious psychological problems. Take for example the last chapter: "Oh, my sempai called me on Saturday, it must be because I did something wrong and I must be punished, I'm sure it is my fault"

-The brothers are even more flat and uninteresting than Pikary and Dotty to the point I don't remember their names, just that the girl kicks randomly the brother (high literature right here).

Also, as you say in Aria they don't tell you how to row, but you know why? because no one cares about it, the same way that I don't care about the +20 pages the manga uses to explain how stressing is to remove and put a mask.
If Aria did explain all these details instead of expending time building the characters/story/setting it would become as boring as Amanchu.

P.S. Harry Potter was shit, if you say Casual Vacancy is even worse I'll stay far from it, thanks.

I must say I'm really dissapointed at this series, what was cute and misterious in Aria is forced and corny in this one.

This style worked in neo-venetia: a beautiful new planet and city, with some hints of magic here and there, with interesting characters discovering it little by little.

Here we have over-the-top cliché characters doing things that I serieouslly don't give a fuck about (putting a mask? really?).

Looks like Amano-sama is a one-trick-dog.

Here we have over-the-top cliché characters doing things that I serieouslly don't give a fuck about (putting a mask? really?).

I don't think I can ground characters like Dotty and Pikari to a simple archetype. And doing things "I don't give a fuck" really? a gentle reminder that in Aria they never did anything of great importance. Their worst conflict is what, chasing after a schedule? Looking for a person with no free time? What they're doing is usually not of importance in iyashikei series. It's how they do it, it's how they nudge their perspective to see the world in a more positive light.

Mind you, she did battle shounens before among others.

Ok let's get one thing straight.

Amanchu is it's own thing, Aria is another thing. Both are of the iyashikei genre, so obviously there are similarities.

The main difference is that Aria uses Akari as the main character, where Akari is the miraculous character who is able to see the tiniest of silver lining, and provides healing resolutions to each individual conflict found in Aria.

In Amanchu, that role is relegated to Pikari. Instead, the main character is Dotty, a character who is flawed, a character who is insecure, a character who started with no knowledge of diving whatsoever and a character who was bound to her past.

Does it reminds you of anyone? Yes. She sounds like most of normal people. Facing problems faced by normal people.

So there is a fundamental difference between the two series in how it approaches the healing part of the story. The majority of Aria is seen from the POV of the healer, the cause of the healing, while the majority of Amanchu is seen from the POV of the healed, the character closer to the readers in a sense.

Also, Aria focuses a great deal on its setting. It really brings about and explore Neo Venezia itself, as it is integral in part of the story. The original title was Aqua, the planet where the story takes place. The second title is Aria, the company where she works in.

Amanchu focuses the series on what they're doing. Diving. See, Aria never bothers you with the tricks and techniques used in rowing a gondola. They just train, they just row. Amanchu tells you what you need to look out when you're diving, the exams, the equipments everything.

I mean, in the end you're entitled for your own opinion, but seriously. You don't go into Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling while expecting another Harry Potter. Aria and Amanchu are series by the same author, in the same genre, that is fundamentally different.

Umm, isn't it supposed to be Pikari ? Feels kinda weird seeing her being called Hikari like that...

I must say I'm really dissapointed at this series, what was cute and misterious in Aria is forced and corny in this one.

This style worked in neo-venetia: a beautiful new planet and city, with some hints of magic here and there, with interesting characters discovering it little by little.

You've never visited Itō, have you? I still remember the first time I got off the train there. I'll never get to visit Neo-Venezia but I did get to go to Itō.

I agree with this sadly.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics