Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.65 - 84votes)

Karakuri Circus

Alt Names: alt からくりサーカスalt 傀儡马戏团alt Gánh Xiếc Quái Dịalt Le Cirque de Karakuri
Author: Fujita Kazuhiro
Artist: Fujita Kazuhiro
Genres: Action ActionDrama DramaFantasy FantasyPsychological PsychologicalRomance RomanceShounen ShounenTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Katou Narumi (19) suffers from Zonapha Syndrome, a rare ailment that stops his breathing unless he makes people laugh. He's been forced to abandon his training in Chinese kenpo and return to Japan, where he now works as a clown. The only problem: he's not very funny.

One day he meets Saiga Masaru (11), the recent inheritor of a huge fortune, who gives him the first laugh he's gotten all day. When he realizes Masaru is being pursued by assassins, he steps in to protect the boy, only to discover that instead of conventional weapons, the assassins wield huge, eerie puppets. They soon encounter the mysterious Shirogane (age unknown), who controls a puppet of her own, and claims she was sent from France by Masaru's late grandfather to protect him.

Their paths intertwine and diverge, splitting into two stories: Karakuri and Circus, puppets and performers, tears and laughter. The strange circus of living dolls that spreads Zonapha Syndrome, the human puppets known collectively as the Shirogane, and the puppeteers whose undying grudge set in motion both sides of this performance.
Go to Karakuri Circus Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic french scan ? New Window narumi2
  • 2 Replies
Topic Karakuri Circus latest chapter discussion New Window truepurple
  • 2 Replies
Topic Risking defeat and lose of reason for existance for EXTREME pride. New Window truepurple
  • 1 Replies
Topic Has this series been dropped? New Window TomDaloof
  • 2 Replies

359 Comments

Hooooooooooooly shit, this manga's realness is going into outer space.

OMFG! THAT PLOT TWIST!

Thanks for the chapter ^^

Masaru dad looked really creepy at the last page O_o

inb4 Bai Jin = Masaru's dad.

Dont think that is right for the story until now you can trace the saiga lineage a little and masaru's dad being bai jin would be a little over the top, but all the saiga family could be descendants of him in some way, and now we know that masaru existence is a plan that have been brewing for a long time now.

Thirty years ago? No idea what's up with Masaru's dad.

inb4 Bai Jin = Masaru's dad.

inb4 the 'Karakuri (Mechanism; Machinery; String Puppet) Circus' title refers to how mostly everything happening in the story is due to Bai Jin - that is, it's all part of his 'Puppet Circus'. I mean, he created the Automata and Francine, who then caused the 'Zonapha Syndrome' to apppear, which then resulted in the Shirogane being born, which ended in that whole conflict.

Hint: One of the keys (the only one clearly shown) had the alchemical symbol for 'earth'.

Thirty years ago? No idea what's up with Masaru's dad.

This wimp boy is pissing me off!!

Great chapter. Posh Shirogane, yes please! Guessing we'll get everyone's initial reaction a flashback.

Happy 100th scanlation Funnuraba!

Wait. So basically, according to her, she has no memory drinking the Aqua Vitae, and it was her upbringing and training that made her into an unfeeling Shirogane.

She also remained a kid for 80 years, and then hit her 20s all of a sudden in less than 10 years... so there are plenty of weird things going on here.

Wait. So basically, according to her, she has no memory drinking the Aqua Vitae, and it was her upbringing and training that made her into an unfeeling Shirogane.

Can't we just have that European princess be the heroine of the story, and abandon the whole circus segment? I won't go on a tirade about how boring these filler chapters are, but it is rather sad to see such a good manga be laden by these completely unnecessary parts which only serve to extend the length of the manga. A better option, in my opinion, would be to let these parallel stories play out at the first page of the chapters (similar to what they do in One Piece). 

Oh well, the author has to eat so who can blame him. Not me at least, who is sitting here complaining about free stuff.

This is still an adventure shounen manga. Once Part Three starts things will pick up.

So Masaru can't remember his father's face, huh?

You might say he was...Faceless?

OH, FUUUUUUUUUUUU--

---

Also, I wanna say that Eleonore is actually Masaru's aunt, making her his grandpa's daughter that he had with Angelina.

Can't we just have that European princess be the heroine of the story, and abandon the whole circus segment? I won't go on a tirade about how boring these filler chapters are, but it is rather sad to see such a good manga be laden by these completely unnecessary parts which only serve to extend the length of the manga. A better option, in my opinion, would be to let these parallel stories play out at the first page of the chapters (similar to what they do in One Piece). 

Oh well, the author has to eat so who can blame him. Not me at least, who is sitting here complaining about free stuff.

So Masaru can't remember his father's face, huh?

You might say he was...Faceless?

I hope that Shirogane looking so similar to Francine is only an artistic "accident" and nothing else, things are sad enough for poor old Narumi.

I believe it's an actual plot point.

Spoiler

I hope that Shirogane looking so similar to Francine is only an artistic "accident" and nothing else, things are sad enough for poor old Narumi.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the filler circus is back, dammit lets hope it is short lived and we go back to Narumi.

Filler? Nah, Slice-of-Life.

Didn't the fortune teller Shirogane say a circus would destroy the Midnight Circus, or something like that? Team Masaru is gonna whoop ass eventually. Or, die trying.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the filler circus is back, dammit lets hope it is short lived and we go back to Narumi.

Karakuri ~ Final Act.... What? You thought the series was ending? Ha! You've been led on for the past year!

This series provide us with the best of manga action packed scenes, slice of life, drama, comedy and much more, i love Masaru story as much as i love the shirogane wars against the automata, the bittersweet, often dramatic and not less cruel adventures that masaru and Co. live put more variety to all this amazing world that is constructed.

I will admit in the begining i didnt like Masaru much, he had and still has some flaws that i dont like but with each chapter that boy is really progressing, this is what true character development is about.

Guy: *calls Shirogane HQ* How's the war going?

George: We won.

Guy: Woo hoo!!!

George: But everyone died.

Guy: Oh no...I'm out of wine!

Ha ha ha ha, you can't fool me author, I know this happiness will never last!

I just can't wait for their reunion.

Man, Fujita really went all-out with the art for those last pages.

I actually really really like that brush-stroke style with its suggestion of shapes and complete absence of shading.

George was useful...*brain explodes*

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics