Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * - (4.47 - 47votes)

The Legendary Musings of Professor Munakata

Alt Names: alt Las legendarias reflexiones del Profesor Munakataalt Munakata Kyōju Denkikōalt Munakata Kyouju Denkikou
Author: Hoshino Yukinobu
Artist: Hoshino Yukinobu
Genres: Fantasy FantasyHistorical HistoricalSeinen SeinenSupernatural Supernatural
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Munakata is an anthropology professor who studies the relationship between folklore or fairy tales and real historical events. He believes that many of these stories that most presume to be entirely fictional are actually based on real events. This manga tells the story of Professor Munakata as he follows the clues left from both the imaginary world of fairy tales and the real world historical evidence.

This manga is highly educational and entertaining at the same time. The connections between the history of the land and the implications it has on the fairy tales are extremely intriguing. It is a breath of fresh air if all you read are the typical genres and want some diversity.

Sequel: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/the-case-records-of-professor-munakata-r17393
Spin-off: http://bato.to/comic/_/comics/kamunabi-r17392
Go to The Legendary Musings of Professor Munakata Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
No topics has been found for this comic.

108 Comments

Is this guy the ass man from prison school?

P.S. "Golf? That's no more than a haunt for adult delinquents."

YOU TELL 'EM PROF!

"I hate it almost as much as I do karaoke."

"Oh, it's just a giant diamond..."

The heck? Is Munakata immune to HEAT?

Haven't you heard? Swag is elemental-resistant. =D

Back to the current chapter... I'm amazed that after the Comet King arc, Munakata didn't waggle his finger at the totem poles and yell 'STARGATE!!!'

The heck? Is Munakata immune to HEAT?

Mrs. Ike and her fainting, the best running gag ever.

I was wondering when we'd get a fantasy-free, cryptozoological chapter.

Though some people might consider that phrase an oxymoron.

Props to the Hoshino Yukinobu for the most tight, nerve racking chapters I've read in a series. 

The plot is more about the potential for mass murder attacks by crazy Japanese cults. It just so happens that nuke plants are the tool in this case. Rather, the manga is referencing the 1995 Tokyo subway sarin gas attack by the Aum Shinrikyo doomsday cult, but at a much larger scale.

If you take a look a the recent chapter I don't think that the message is centered around dangerous cult but more around the danger of nuclear power plant. The first chapter hinted it hard. 

i should have read this from the beginning so it would be easier to comment on each chapter...

werewolf stories are interesting. but they're difficult to relate to, as there were no werewolves in the land of the berserkers. you do know that berserk means bear hide, right?

the stories i have grown up with, are of men turning into bears. there's even a story of a man who could only manage to turn half back into human before a bear hunter shot him.

wouldn't make much of a difference though, as the bear skeleton looks almost human, except for the skull.

It should be noted that this series ran from 1995 to 1999, so all this plot line about a possible nuclear accident in Japan is well before Fukushima.

The plot is more about the potential for mass murder attacks by crazy Japanese cults. It just so happens that nuke plants are the tool in this case. Rather, the manga is referencing the 1995 Tokyo subway sarin gas attack by the Aum Shinrikyo doomsday cult, but at a much larger scale.

It should be noted that this series ran from 1995 to 1999, so all this plot line about a possible nuclear accident in Japan is well before Fukushima.

Munakata: International Man Of Mystery (and Mythology!)

Total War's time period is way after the Taira rebellion. Actually, the annoying thing about TW is that the Oda faction lacks all the historical attributes that allowed Nobunaga to be so overwhelming in real history. Or rather, the mechanics that allowed Oda dominance are not modeled in TW; things like Oda's ability to literally just march to Kyoto and drag every samurai clan he met on the road to join him swelling his ranks. This is impossible to do in TW. When playing the Oda, their weakness makes for an awesome challenge. The problem appears when you want to try beating the Oda instead. I played the Date inspired by Masamune's lament that he'd been born too late to face the likes of Kenshin and Takeda and Nobunaga. I wanted to change history, proving Masamune worthy of Heaven, full of ambition to march my armies south and battle the horrific might of the Dairokutenmaou!

The Oda got wiped out in turn 10....

W. T. F.

As an avid total war player (since the original Shogun 1) i gotta say Creative Assembly, and those before them are pretty crap at balancing, they try and try, yet one ends up OP and the other nerf batted into the ground, and sometimes, the games utter crap. I recommend DarthMod, its a good one.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/darthmod-shogun-2

This is making me want to play Total War - Shogun 2 so badly all over again.

Total War's time period is way after the Taira rebellion. Actually, the annoying thing about TW is that the Oda faction lacks all the historical attributes that allowed Nobunaga to be so overwhelming in real history. Or rather, the mechanics that allowed Oda dominance are not modeled in TW; things like Oda's ability to literally just march to Kyoto and drag every samurai clan he met on the road to join him swelling his ranks. This is impossible to do in TW. When playing the Oda, their weakness makes for an awesome challenge. The problem appears when you want to try beating the Oda instead. I played the Date inspired by Masamune's lament that he'd been born too late to face the likes of Kenshin and Takeda and Nobunaga. I wanted to change history, proving Masamune worthy of Heaven, full of ambition to march my armies south and battle the horrific might of the Dairokutenmaou!

The Oda got wiped out in turn 10....

W. T. F.

Artemis Fowl?

I just read chapter 18, The Curious Tale of Shutendoji, and started recognizing a lot of the details.  Now I have to go back and read Yoshikawa Eiji's Taiko and Tale of the Heike again.  While Hoshino Yukinobu Sensei's science may be suspect, his history is really well researched and his ability to tell a good story is fantastic.  The art is also great and, as Archmage Lezard has pointed out, that mustache is manly!

Thanks, Hokuto no Gun.

This is making me want to play Total War - Shogun 2 so badly all over again.

I just read chapter 18, The Curious Tale of Shutendoji, and started recognizing a lot of the details.  Now I have to go back and read Yoshikawa Eiji's Taiko and Tale of the Heike again.  While Hoshino Yukinobu Sensei's science may be suspect, his history is really well researched and his ability to tell a good story is fantastic.  The art is also great and, as Archmage Lezard has pointed out, that mustache is manly!

Thanks, Hokuto no Gun.

Technically the 17th century is still after the Roman Empire...

He's probably confusing the more populous subspecies of Eurasian Aurochs with the North African Aurochs that did go extinct around the 6th-7th century AD. In association with Romans, this was the subspecies prominently used in arena games (Romans imported a vast majority of arena beasts from North Africa). Like with the North African elephant, it is possible that the games were a primary contributing cause for their extinction. The Eurasian Aurochs were not imported for these games largely because they shared their habitat with some rather nasty Germans.

Oh come on, the Auroch only went extinct in the 17th century (the last known individual died in 1627 in Jaktorów Forest). That's almost 2 centuries after the eastern roman empire (aka Byzantine Empire) fell...

Technically the 17th century is still after the Roman Empire...

img000035.png

Oh come on, the Auroch only went extinct in the 17th century (the last known individual died in 1627 in Jaktorów Forest). That's almost 2 centuries after the eastern roman empire (aka Byzantine Empire) fell...

You could blame the writer for not checking on the facts. But given that the writer has written in a story with giants wrecking an airport and another with a warp gate who can't say that in Munakata's world that that is when the auroch's went extinct.

img000035.png

Such a thought provoking and intellectual manga!! Yukinobu is one of my favorite (sci-fi) mangaka, but i wish he would have stuck to logic, reason and scientific inference to explain all the phenomena. I mean the ones where the titans come out of the ground. Nevertheless, one of the best manga's I've read for a long time. Are there any more manga's like these?

Wait a minute, i thought the explanation was that the current just threw them to the other side of some underground river. But i looked on google map the distance between "Kumano" and "Izumo" is more than 300km ! So that thing was in fact really a teleportation device, looks like it's going the Stargate direction :D

We've already seen subterranean stone giants. We've been prepared.

Wait a minute, i thought the explanation was that the current just threw them to the other side of some underground river. But i looked on google map the distance between "Kumano" and "Izumo" is more than 300km ! So that thing was in fact really a teleportation device, looks like it's going the Stargate direction :D

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics