Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.72 - 505votes)

All You Need Is Kill

Alt Names: alt オール ユー ニード イズ キルalt 杀戮轮回alt 明日边缘alt Все, что тебе нужно — убивать
Author: Sakurazaka Hiroshi & Takeuchi Ryousuke
Artist: Obata Takeshi
Genres: Action ActionDrama DramaSci-fi Sci-fi[no chapters] [no chapters]
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: Since the alien Gitai invaded the Earth, the humankind has been retreating. Now that Japan is almost surrounded by the Gitai, Keiji Kiriya is just one of many new recruits forced into a suit of battle armor and sent out to kill aliens. On a joint mission with the US special force led by Rita, known as the Bitch of the War, Keiji dies on the battlefield, only to find himself reborn.

After 4 times of "death," Kiriya realizes that he has to win the battle to get out of the loop...

Raws
http://tonarinoyj.jp/manga/all_you_need_is_kill/

Note: Edge of Tomorrow, a 2014 movie starring Tom Cruise, is an adaptation of the novel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw61gCe2oqI
Go to All You Need Is Kill Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic edge of tomorrow? New Window generalee
  • 53 Replies
Topic Major plot hole New Window Evange
  • 7 Replies
Topic Should this have been a longer seinen series? New Window keoss
  • 5 Replies
Topic If you is a looper New Window pijoed
  • 1 Replies
Topic How long do you think this manga will last? New Window jonjon100
  • 23 Replies
Topic [Spoiler alert] Would you think the manga adaptation will follow the original novel completely? New Window keoss
  • 0 Replies

813 Comments

Went and saw the movie today... Pretty freaking good.

That ending though lol...

Yeah, it's a pretty big plot hole. Either Rita is part of the same network Kiriya is in, thus justifying the ending, or she isn't, thus justifying why she isn't remembering the loops; these are mutually exclusive states that the author fails to explain.

Its probably because each one of the server mimics creates its own loop, so because Keiji kills that particular server the first time, he is in the loop. In addition, Rita has been in more than one loop, thus there was indeed enough time for her to become an antennae, but only challenges Keiji to test his resolve because she would have to die anyway.

Wouldn't it haved solved everything, if one of them goes really far away?

Well can't say i am surprised with how it ended, since some asshole said in the comment section what was going to happen to Rita months ago without spoiler alert at all....

Wow that ending was so sudden, did they axe the serious for no popularity or something o.o? It was a really good series though, solid story and awesome art style, the ending seemed rushed due to some holes in the plot like humans being servers :T but it was well done even rushed

The series was an adaptation from a light novel, and that's how it ended in the novel, so nope, it didn't get axed as far as I know.

Wow that ending was so sudden, did they axe the serious for no popularity or something o.o? It was a really good series though, solid story and awesome art style, the ending seemed rushed due to some holes in the plot like humans being servers :T but it was well done even rushed

Uuuuuuhhhaaaaaa FUMUUUUUUUCK THAT WAS A GOOD MOFO OF A READ!!!! THAT NON VANILLA ENDING IS THE BEST ENDING I COULD HAVE HOPED FOR IN BOTH THE LIGHTNOVEL AND THE MANGA

also regarding all the "plotholes", I believe it's simply "network auto-resets if there are more than 1 antenna at the end if the server/antenna does not cancel the auto-reset" and "the antenna that sends the auto-reset retains all memory before the reset"

That doesn't resolve the plot hole at all.

The problem is Rita is either part of the network or she isn't; if she is then your auto-reset idea would be applicable, but the story repeatedly reinforces the fact that she isn't. Whenever Kiriya's loop resets, all of the Mimics on his network reset with him as evident by the fact that they keep changing strategies in subsequent loops to target him, however Rita does not experience the reset like Kiriya and the Mimics do, thus she isn't part of their network.

Yet in the end there's this sudden twist that Rita is part of the network, which forces them to duel to the death, but nothing explains why there is this sudden contradiction with the established story up until that point. There isn't even any foreshadowing, like Rita suddenly remembering a loop, or fragments of a loop, to suggest that she's been brought into the network. It's just:

"This is your loop, only you can break out of it."

"This is our loop, one of us has to die."

Volume 1 cover (HQ):

Spoiler

Volume 2 cover (HQ):

Spoiler

Yeah, it's a pretty big plot hole. Either Rita is part of the same network Kiriya is in, thus justifying the ending, or she isn't, thus justifying why she isn't remembering the loops; these are mutually exclusive states that the author fails to explain.

the author should revive rita using black magic ! i demand it

I'm not crying.  It's just that Gallagher was here a moment ago smashing watermelons.  I had to wash my face with something.

awesome triple release to the end, ty MTO. and this is why this LN/manga is awesome.

it's bittersweet, but awesome.

also regarding all the "plotholes", I believe it's simply "network auto-resets if there are more than 1 antenna at the end if the server/antenna does not cancel the auto-reset" and "the antenna that sends the auto-reset retains all memory before the reset"

And that sums it up on why " ALL THEY NEED IS KILL"

ok, i guess its time for me to die, too.

10352842_570824343038124_419249597618979

that what happened when you play persona 3 24h

And that sums it up on why " ALL THEY NEED IS KILL"

ok, i guess its time for me to die, too.

10352842_570824343038124_419249597618979

I find it hard to believe considering they had only met the night before, and just cuz 'there was coffee' doesn't mean anything because the author had made that one of her quirks. I understand why Keiji would have romantic feelings (has gone through multiple loops with her), but Rita 'still met Keijii only that day'. 

Also, I can't agree with your simple explanation with the loop because there's only antennaes, servers, and backups for this network. If there were clients, then the clients are the past selves that receive the information from the future. I would say she became a separate server, but that wouldn't make sense since it was explained that both of them were antennaes (the proof being their migranes, so their brains are probably working on overtime from doing other activities related to the alien network).

The author has Rita assert in chapter 16 that the server can still send out a tachyeon signal because their brains have adapted to become mimic antennaes. The only thing I can see from this is that Rita's brain is fully adapted (she DOES have more loops than Keiji), so is used as an adequate replacement for a mimic backup.

I don't get that part because (oh no) wikipedia states that she has no connection to the server/network. It doesn't make sense then because the server shouldn't be able to use her to send signals back to reset the loop - meaning that Keiji is the problem antennae.

The novel and manga though clearly have Keiji win, and ending the loop, so Keiji is probably still an inadequate replacement for a mimic backup. Then in this case, assuming that wikipedia is wrong and Rita is a mimic backup replacement (thus she has a connection to the current network), then the question is 'why isn't Rita getting the memories from previous loops'. It's back to square one, that Rita isn't part of the network at all, but that's not the case since her death did end everything for that battle.

The only concrete thing would be if the author bothered to make things clearer on what he meant by all this.

she no longer server in his loop but client and if it make you happy they really did it in the novel

I find it hard to believe considering they had only met the night before, and just cuz 'there was coffee' doesn't mean anything because the author had made that one of her quirks. I understand why Keiji would have romantic feelings (has gone through multiple loops with her), but Rita 'still met Keijii only that day'. 

Also, I can't agree with your simple explanation with the loop because there's only antennaes, servers, and backups for this network. If there were clients, then the clients are the past selves that receive the information from the future. I would say she became a separate server, but that wouldn't make sense since it was explained that both of them were antennaes (the proof being their migranes, so their brains are probably working on overtime from doing other activities related to the alien network).

The author has Rita assert in chapter 16 that the server can still send out a tachyeon signal because their brains have adapted to become mimic antennaes. The only thing I can see from this is that Rita's brain is fully adapted (she DOES have more loops than Keiji), so is used as an adequate replacement for a mimic backup.

I don't get that part because (oh no) wikipedia states that she has no connection to the server/network. It doesn't make sense then because the server shouldn't be able to use her to send signals back to reset the loop - meaning that Keiji is the problem antennae.

The novel and manga though clearly have Keiji win, and ending the loop, so Keiji is probably still an inadequate replacement for a mimic backup. Then in this case, assuming that wikipedia is wrong and Rita is a mimic backup replacement (thus she has a connection to the current network), then the question is 'why isn't Rita getting the memories from previous loops'. It's back to square one, that Rita isn't part of the network at all, but that's not the case since her death did end everything for that battle.

The only concrete thing would be if the author bothered to make things clearer on what he meant by all this.

awww. . too bad, I was hoping for more of this. so they are like dipole antenna huh.,

second season maybe?

The original light novel was a one-shot that was published almost a decade ago. If a sequel is ever made, it'll be completely and utterly different (and thats assuming the author even agrees to make a sequel)

Wth? Tht's it? I am expecting a development similar to Gantz or at least Psyren, meh......

Thanks for the scans~

Now I'll just crawl inside my bed and mope.

Gah.. the ending &^%$@#

Thank you scanlators ♥

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

After sleeping on it, I could only rationalize most of the story up until the end:

Basically each Mimic "battalion" is a network in itself, the server acts as a commander while the backups have a dual purpose of restarting the loop in case the server dies and triggering the server to restart a loop when one of them dies; the idea being that the commanding server sends backups out as "feelers" to gauge enemy strength and effectiveness of strategies, if a backup dies that represents an unacceptable loss to fighting strength and the server resets and tries something new (good ol' save-scumming).

So when Rita and Kiriya killed their first server, they were accidentally joined to the local Mimic network as backups, hence why the loop always restarts upon their deaths as well (server would blindly hit reload and update all backups, Mimic or otherwise); if they were their own, self-contained networks they would have never been able to loop in the first place because, as demonstrated by the Mimics, they need someone else on the network (another backup or server) to initiate the loop for them if they died (if simply dying triggered the loop then Mimics wouldn't need backups).

So how did Rita break out of her first loop despite killing her own network's server? Well, I can only think of two possibilities:

1) She became the de facto server for her own private network, which gives her the ability to reset loops, but without backups she cannot reset if she dies.

2) She isn't a "proper" backup in that she can receive information from the network, but - by dint of being human - can't fart tachyon particles on demand and thus couldn't reset the loop by herself; the only reason she can keep looping is because she's connecting to new Mimic networks wherever she goes and tricking the servers to reset the loop for her. This also means if she dies while not connected to a network (or connected to a network that has its reset ability compromised), she won't experience a loop.

Spoiler

second season maybe?

The thing is... We never learned anything about those people in space who were trying to terraform earth in the first place... THE WHOLE GODDAMN REASON WHY THIS SHIT STARTED IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I am confused about the ending.  If both Keiji and Rita have become antennas for the signal then isn't the only way to break the time loop is to kill all of the antennas (bugs, Keiji and Rita since they are antennas) and then kill the server before it realizes that the antennas have been wiped out. Why couldn't the server use Keiji as an antenna when it was being killed by Keiji?  Did I miss a chapter where we are told that Keiji and Rita are half antennas and together they count as a complete antenna.

IIRC, only Rita should be an antenna because she had a "previous relation" (in QM speak: entanglement probably?) to the servers, but somebody else killed the server before her. it might even be that she would not have looped if at any point she had decided to end a battle on the first loop and died.

Rather than "turning back time", the mimic time loop is really closer to something to brain being downloaded and restored, but with tachyons, so its "current" state is restored to the brain in a previous time frame. or rather in a universe otherwise completely identical to the former universe's previous timeframe. I haven't actually seen/played Steins;Gate, but it may be considered similar to a D-mail? 

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics