Primary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Secondary: Sky Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Squares Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
* * * * * (4.61 - 257votes)

Ajin

Alt Names: alt 亚人alt 亜人alt Demi-Human
Author: Miura Tsuina & Sakurai Gamon
Artist: Sakurai Gamon
Genres: Action ActionAdventure AdventureDrama DramaHorror HorrorMystery MysteryPsychological PsychologicalSchool Life School LifeSci-fi Sci-fiSeinen SeinenSupernatural SupernaturalTragedy Tragedy
Type: Manga (Japanese)
Description: The story follows a high school student named Kei Nagai, who is caught in a traffic accident, dies, but immediately revives and learns he is not human, but an Ajin, a mysterious creature that cannot die. Scared, he runs away from humans but is helped by his friend Kai, who joins him in his flee from civilization. He then becomes involved in a conflict between human and Ajin and must choose a side.

Note: Roughly mid-way through the manga, the Author Tsuina Miura left this project.

Nominated for the 7th annual Manga Taishou Award, the Readers Award in the 18th Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize and in the Seinen category in the 38th Annual Kodansha Manga Awards in 2014. In the 40th(2016) annual kodansha manga award for General Category
Go to Ajin Forums! | Scroll Down to Comments
The following content is intended for mature audiences and may contain sexual themes, gore, violence and/or strong language. Discretion is advised.

Latest Forum Posts

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info
Topic What is wrong with Kei? New Window Bananimal
  • 23 Replies
Topic English translations? New Window darren
  • 2 Replies
Topic Tin man and Scarecrow New Window truepurple
  • 2 Replies
Topic Sore Spot New Window admira
  • 1 Replies
Topic Latest Chapter Discussion New Window Yurichikun
  • 6 Replies
Topic Would we react like this? New Window BlackToTheFuture
  • 19 Replies

368 Comments

Seeing how indifferent all the characters are to the ongoing events is pretty cool.

This series is quite good.

wtf ? why not just take his shotgun while he's dead, decapitate him and move the head separately, he wont be able to regenerate for a while while his head is far away right ?

or just use taser when he revive to knock him unconscious, or mutilate his body, bits by bits and put it in a bomb difusal box (or safe box lol)

there's so many way to make him stay dead/unconscious beside keep shooting at him...

this chapter is really weird.. do you really need to keep on killing him if you can't use tranquilizer ? that's just plain stupid...

lol

He'd probably regenerate a new head pretty fast. If they knocked him out, his other Ajin friends would have killed and revived him. Mutilation was probably not possible at that time. Shooting him repeatedly was just a temporary way of apprehending him while he was dragged to the police van where they probably had other plans for him.

nalydw, youre right about inconsistencies in this manga. i'm not too bothered about them tho. personally i like the pacing and all the action and mainly focus on those.

wtf ? why not just take his shotgun while he's dead, decapitate him and move the head separately, he wont be able to regenerate for a while while his head is far away right ?

or just use taser when he revive to knock him unconscious, or mutilate his body, bits by bits and put it in a bomb difusal box (or safe box lol)

there's so many way to make him stay dead/unconscious beside keep shooting at him...

this chapter is really weird.. do you really need to keep on killing him if you can't use tranquilizer ? that's just plain stupid...

lol

The author is going full retard in these last few chapters... not sure I'm gonna be able to keep reading this.

Spoiler

Meanwhile, I wonder why you haven't blown a fuse over the fact that THEY'RE SUMMONING BLACK-BODIED INVISIBLE MURDEROUS GHOST MONSTER THINGS THAT ARE COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE TO FABRICATE IN REALITY

Because that is part of this world's rational ala fantasy rules?

They make mummified black ghost monster things. Fine. Whatever. Is cool.

They're immortal. Fine Whatever. Cool.

It's the plot. These are the rules the author has set for the world he is sharing with us. It is the basis for this story and the focal point on which we see that "The Author's World Presented to Us" and "Reality" are two different existences entirely and that we should not confuse the two as following the same rules. And, hey, it's the Big Idea the author is using to make something interesting. A story that sells needs to be interesting. I love fiction, both realistic and fantastic. I can dig it.

However, that "Ajin injured in such a way that would incapacitate a non-ajin, so long as the ajin is not killed, will remain incapacitated throughout the course of their injuries until their death occurs to reset the body to an uninjured state" is just as cannon as the IBMs. My problem is that, even aside from this one scene devised entirely for a 'moment of cool' (which, I admit, was impressive looking and could strike heart chords), it seems like the author is breaking his pre-established world-rules far too often and freely. Often with little real need or purpose. 

And to be clear, I really don't have too much of a problem with an author breaking their own world-rules, here and there, when it's used to good effect, in moderation, and with consideration. If it was just that one frame then I MIGHT simply be laughing at it, fully understanding that the author was just having a bit of fun according to the Rule of Cool. However, again, this feels like it's hardly the first time. Like it's been made cheap at this point.

I guess. . . the best way to explain it to someone who doesn't read, or perhaps relate, to stories in the same way that I do (and I'm not saying my way of reading or connecting with a story is better, just that it's different) is to say that the author is "betraying me" or "being dishonest" with their story. Not in the sense of an unannounced plot twist. That would simply be what path the story takes, albeit an unexpected path.

(the following is a metaphor. Just say'n since it's 2 am and I'm not sure how understandable this transition is. Not sure how understandable anything I type is. @__@"") 

It feels like the character's height changes every few pages, allowing them to fit in small spaces or reach high places, but canonically we are made to understand explicitly that the character is quite ordinary, their height doesn't change, they have no special powers, and this isn't some kind of gag being used by the author/artist. The author/artist is simply being inconsistent possibly not even glossing over the fact. They just shamelessly ignore the elephant in the room that is the inconsistency of their art/story and keep doing whatever they want to do.

nagai or sort of it is gutless behind his 'logical' reasoning he just coward behind all those

I thought those up rather quickly. it is terrifying, I agree, but I was just trying to solve the problem from a scientific perspective. Like, how would you stop someone like that? It's a puzzle. I don't ordinarily think about things like that and I'm not especially fond of graphic violence. I kind of hate it. I certainly can't watch it with any ease on tv or in movies. I hope that helps alleviate your concern. I'm a bit regretful for this post now, tbh. Maybe I shouldn't have gone there.

Don't regret that post, you raise some good (and interesting!) points. ^^

I thought those up rather quickly. it is terrifying, I agree, but I was just trying to solve the problem from a scientific perspective. Like, how would you stop someone like that? It's a puzzle. I don't ordinarily think about things like that and I'm not especially fond of graphic violence. I kind of hate it. I certainly can't watch it with any ease on tv or in movies. I hope that helps alleviate your concern. I'm a bit regretful for this post now, tbh. Maybe I shouldn't have gone there.

The fact that you know all this is terrifying.  Use these powers for good, please

Man that was insane. The best way to keep killing a guy like that would not be to shoot him over and over again, it would be to electocute him continuously. A live wire attached to the gurney, would have done the trick.

It also would have made more sense to have one officer repeatedly inserting an icepick into his brain via the ear  while another inserts one up through the nasal cavity. No one has mentioned it, but leaving such devices in place would instakill the guy every time he regenerates/revives because he is immobilised, so the objects would still be lodged in a place where the brain would be completely disrupted. The inanimate objects aren't affected, right?

Or imagine this: the laser wand that cosmetic surgeons use to liquify fat molecules and simultaneously vacuum them out of the body...like shown below [warning, a bit graphic]

Spoiler
...one of these, inserted into the brain through the nasal cavity and left on would insta-kill the guy while preventing him from reviving...each time he revives, the wand is still inserted into his brain...so he would just die over and over and over again. Once this plan is in place, shooting him repeatedly would be a backup, and an organized unit like the SAT would most certainly be wise enough to consider that they'd also be targeted...and would have an equivalent number of men with pistols as they would have men with body-length anti-tank shields to create a protective perimeter for transport.

There are very legitimate ways to stop the ajin. The author just isn't portraying the characters as creative enough to do so.

You gotta keep in mind they act under certain rules and limits. Besides all those methods you mentioned could easily be stopped by the IBM.

Man that was insane. The best way to keep killing a guy like that would not be to shoot him over and over again, it would be to electocute him continuously. A live wire attached to the gurney, would have done the trick.

It also would have made more sense to have one officer repeatedly inserting an icepick into his brain via the ear  while another inserts one up through the nasal cavity. No one has mentioned it, but leaving such devices in place would instakill the guy every time he regenerates/revives because he is immobilised, so the objects would still be lodged in a place where the brain would be completely disrupted. The inanimate objects aren't affected, right?

Or imagine this: the laser wand that cosmetic surgeons use to liquify fat molecules and simultaneously vacuum them out of the body...like shown below [warning, a bit graphic]

Spoiler
...one of these, inserted into the brain through the nasal cavity and left on would insta-kill the guy while preventing him from reviving...each time he revives, the wand is still inserted into his brain...so he would just die over and over and over again. Once this plan is in place, shooting him repeatedly would be a backup, and an organized unit like the SAT would most certainly be wise enough to consider that they'd also be targeted...and would have an equivalent number of men with pistols as they would have men with body-length anti-tank shields to create a protective perimeter for transport.

There are very legitimate ways to stop the ajin. The author just isn't portraying the characters as creative enough to do so.

The fact that you know all this is terrifying.  Use these powers for good, please @_@

Dat chapter title... Dat stage exit...

11/10

Spoiler

I'm wondering if the last two chapters are intentionally named after a video game and a movie that played out like a video game.

If you think about it the whole aijin crew basically are bad company, bunch of misfit soldiers who happen to beat the odds.

5/5

I should really pick up a couple more action manga. I mean yeah, this was all sorts of impossible, but I had a blast reading it.

http://vatoto.com/forums/topic/14680-related-manga-recommendations/    Follow this link to a forum on this website, and there are plenty of 'action' tagged manga's listed.

I should really pick up a couple more action manga. I mean yeah, this was all sorts of impossible, but I had a blast reading it.

They can't risk prying it out of his dead hands when they know he might have accomplices (and the IBM) around. Moving a dead body is already very hard. Trying to move one while simultaneously shooting its head from point blank range is even harder. A fairly complex operation like trying to force the fingers open while moving him and constantly shooting him in the head would have taken up precious time, and they already know he's not alone. My guess is that they planned to remove the shotgun inside the van, once they can be fairly certain they can do that with him secured safely behind armor.

This one is a dead on mistake plain and simple. Page 2 clearly shows his hands handcuffed and the shotgun under his body, so they already removed it from his dead hands. Sure killing a dude constantly while carrying him is complicated enough, but they did have time to put him in a stretcher and two extra guys to carry him, there's no way a trained force like the SAT is gonna leave a loaded weapon right next to an extremely dangerous and valuable target.

They shot his hands off at one point. Doesn't seem too hard to get rid of the shotgun then. If you're gonna mention the snipers, then they could've easily shot his hands off before putting him on the stretcher.

Also, the plan was kinda crappy. If these guys were that skilled, instead of killing him perpetually, they could've tied him down to the stretcher as they killed him, then shot off his arms and legs (which they already did at one point), and let him "live" during the transportation. Also, to make it harder to use the IBM and snipers, they also could have used a smokescreen at this point (I'm assuming a smokescreen would have a similar effect to rain on the IBMs).

They did handcuff his hands to the stretcher, and were they to injure his limbs to render him inmobile then his sniper allies or his own IBM would've killed him to let him regenerate. Now while on a tactical situation you're to never assume, it would've been smarter to deploy a smokescreen, and while I'm guessing the SAT's standard equipment favors flashbangs in place of smoke grenades, getting one or two deployed isn't impossible specially for the riot gear they had (though it'd more likely be smoke from a lacrimogen gas grenade or grenade launcher).

Finally, title of the chapter says Battlefield: Bad Company. Badass and my profile pic is from Bad Co 2.

I gotta say I lol'd when I saw "SAT" emblazoned on their backs. Watch out everyone, Collegeboard is coming to take you down.

I bet he talked about the test questions when he wasn't supposed to.

Am i the only one's who want the Ajin to win (I mean there seems to be no "Good" guys only two sides and innocent victims in-between.) Tho I frown on their current methods

This is a spoiler for CH. 21-22.

They can't risk prying it out of his dead hands when they know he might have accomplices (and the IBM) around. Moving a dead body is already very hard. Trying to move one while simultaneously shooting its head from point blank range is even harder. A fairly complex operation like trying to force the fingers open while moving him and constantly shooting him in the head would have taken up precious time, and they already know he's not alone. My guess is that they planned to remove the shotgun inside the van, once they can be fairly certain they can do that with him secured safely behind armor.

They shot his hands off at one point. Doesn't seem too hard to get rid of the shotgun then. If you're gonna mention the snipers, then they could've easily shot his hands off before putting him on the stretcher.

Also, the plan was kinda crappy. If these guys were that skilled, instead of killing him perpetually, they could've tied him down to the stretcher as they killed him, then shot off his arms and legs (which they already did at one point), and let him "live" during the transportation. Also, to make it harder to use the IBM and snipers, they also could have used a smokescreen at this point (I'm assuming a smokescreen would have a similar effect to rain on the IBMs).

Wow, why didnt I think of that. It all makes sense now.

I gotta say I lol'd when I saw "SAT" emblazoned on their backs. Watch out everyone, Collegeboard is coming to take you down.

Don't.... Please, don't try to explain this away. Your efforts are futile...

Did they seriously transport him with HIS SHOTGUN BESIDES HIM?!

So this is what would happen if CoD characters were real.

Search Comics

Highest Rated Series

Recently Added Comics